• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zip’s 90 – ver.2.0

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
How I repurposed my acrylic baffles.
e2e9umut.jpg

Felt sock just for effect.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
A better shot.
ba5y7yve.jpg

Pretty sure my skimmer will be going bananas by morning.
I guess three weeks will have that effect
3a5ute7u.jpg

Pretty dark for the first 10 minutes

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Post molt

Ignore the photo bomb tang style

yzumyvum.jpg

It's just chillin under that rock like it's catatonic - I fee like I should offer it a smoke or something :)
In fairness I'm sure if I regularly had to rip/peel my outer layer of skin off I'd be kind of wiped out afterwards...

Last edited:
I would add more than a few small holes. You may want to slice some acrylic into thin pieces and create a dam/wall around top of sock with only one direction for water to flow toward the sump. Almost like a channel.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is hard to see, but I mounted the sock holder below the trim of the tank....with a spacer between the blue plexi and the trim. When the sock overflows, it goes between the blue plexi and the edge trim...right back into the sump.

IMG_1607.jpg

I used teflon nuts and bolts.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I see what you did Paul as always, very nice. Well thought out. I'll have to look at some mods. As for holes, I'd still use the hole saw, just smaller than the sock - say 3 or 4 holes @1". I still may modify to use Paul's under- mount trick. I just need to keep the overspray under the "shield" b/c it's rusting the stand cabinet hardware WAY too fast. I can't find adequate stainless - only the stuff on that side of the stand rusted. PS. I looked at stainless and even something that's $10/hinge it's still not 200% stainless.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Two inverts that have always been on the "want" list - and the first livestock purchase at the local pets plus.

durepu2a.jpg

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Not that I'm too surprised but the linka star went into hiding and is being a rather rude tank guest.
...and the feather duster seems to have gone into hiding. Still trying to learn to follow its behavior. It was out and about yesterday.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well I'm assuming the feather duster bit the dust :( Two days with no sign of anything. Considering the deplorable conditions at the pets plus it came from (while I was there I heard one employee ask another to shut off the hose filling the sump) that doesn't say much for my tank since it looked fine there.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well, there's been no sign of the linckia in several days and on Sunday my skimmer went bananas so I'm guessing that's that. Not sure if the failure is attributable to the tank or the source - pets plus isn't my regular LFS. Just a place I always look in when I'm at the lowes.
On a separate note - I'm looking for any lighting schedule opinions. I have a lot of algae and what looks like green cyano in the display - on the sand bed and ricks but my sump and fuge are spotless. My lights are DIY LEDs - tank looks like it's getting too much light or what I used to see when the halides were too old. Anyone have suggestions as to how to set my lighting? I'm wondering if my DIY rig is part if the problem. I haven't put up my reactors yet - I wanted to see everything stabilize first - and the fuge is clean so I don't think it's a water quality issue. In fact my chaeto is barely hanging on, certainly not thriving...

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
A step toward finishing the basement so I can finally focus a little more on the tank. Tile needed to happen before carpet. I needed to have enough tiled space for water changes and the occasional flood. Hopefully a 3' perimeter is sufficient. And hopefully I left enough room to upgrade in a year or two....
uqedyhup.jpg

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
It's been a little over a year since the move. Tank was set up and livestock transferred from the stock tank for about 6 months. I think the tank is finally showing signs of stabilizing. I had a nasty cyano issue that wiped out about 75% of my coral. Hair algae too. I had a clown that surfed. Down to 4 fish, 2 shrimp, finger leathers, some mushrooms and a couple frags hanging on. It's had nothing but the skimmer. CaRx hasn't worked since the move. Manifold is there but no reactors are on it yet. No ATO is set up yet and I'm sure my RO/Di needs to be changed but until tonight's massive water change it's been fed, manually topped off and 10g WCs around 1x every 8-10 weeks. Pretty abysmal I know and it's pulling through in spite of that while a house including the basement it's in has been gutted around it. First floor's 90% and the basement's 75% - a small electrical fire started a domino effect that lead to a new ceiling in the basement so that's been a setback. Hoping to have it done before the nfl season really gets underway. When that's under control before I start upstairs I'll get the tank back to glory days -I hope. Pics soon

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Moving a tank is always rough. Glad to see you stuck with it, good luck on the continuing move and go Giants!

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
That last part was not necessary! :p

I'm not a huge "buy in to preseason" kind of guy but after watching my first (and only) preseason game last night, Matt can say all he'd like. Eli is DONE and I'm happy and proud to say the Eagles will whoop the Giants any chance they get. I'm just disappointed they only play twice since every game they play will be an Eagles win as long as Eli is behind center.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Someone pointed out that autocorrect made my "mnat" into Matt. Sorry Mike. No disrespect :)
Doesn't change that the giants are gonna lose