• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoas

I had these zoas from day 1 of my tank, but i kinda wanna do a hammer now since my frogspawns are doing great....but i dont know how much and if these are special...could someone tell me how to go about it. Its bout 5 inches round. I put filtered and non filtered pics on here since my blues are on20180201_224928.jpg 20180201_224831.jpg 20180201_224937.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
They can sell for up to $5 per polyp but for larger colonies it’s usually more like $2 per. I’d say there are a little over 100 polyps in that colony so $180 - mid 200s maybe. I’m not sure though.

If you do end up breaking it up into smaller pieces I’d be interested in a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info etmanning1, even I gleaned some knowledge from it! I actually have a mini-colony of fire and ice (maybe 20+ polyps) already, but I'm a huge ZnP fan and I'm interested in getting some more, but i don't know if I'll be able to afford it in the near future, even at the lower end of the spectrum you gave, which leads me to another question actually...

So, your answer made me curious about a few colonies I'm debating on purchasing and if I could get your opinion on the deal, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm trying to price out what a "great" deal (I know that's a relative/subjective statement but your idea of what a GREAT deal is fine by me if you'd be kind enough to give me your opinion) on this purchase would be. I'm looking at getting....

75+ Sunny D's
50+ BamBams
50+ Blondies

So, these amounts of these Zoas on a few pounds of rock, what would a GREAT deal/steal be, in your opinion? Do you think I should start a new thread and ask the group?? Probably gonna be breaking these up if you are interested in any of them, that is, if I get a "great" deal on them lol

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP, I'm still interested in the F&I, depending on your ask price...

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sunny D +-$185
BamBam +-$200
Blondies +- $250

If they are attached to live rock, be sure to QT. You don't know the condition of that tank on a usual day.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A buddy of mine is holding some corals for me, I have a purple and electric green hammers and a green frogspawn, i'd be happy to trade for it.

you're pretty far but if you ever find yourself near me, let me know.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thought.
Get a couple of square frag plugs without stems.
Arrange them on the sand as a platform.
Put your colony on top and let the F&I zoas grow onto them.
Break apart the squares for smaller frags.

Thought.
Get a couple of square frag plugs without stems.
Arrange them on the sand as a platform.
Put your colony on top and let the F&I zoas grow onto them.
Break apart the squares for smaller frags.
That would be great idea, but my corals dont grow or spread. I wish i had someone here to really test my tank and tell me what im doing wrong. My zoas are healthy, my frogspawns are my easiest. They look great. Star polyps that take over are still the same size. Leathers should be fully opened and huge by now but their not. My mushrooms were doing good but their dwindling down. I just dont have the experience i guess. I buy ro water from my lfs, everytime i feed a little bit, i get red cynao, and i cant get rid of all my hair algae

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Here's the good thing...
nothing is dying. :)

For cyano and green hair try Chemiclean?
I use it whenever I have an out of control situation (or any mysterious bad looking thing happening). It'll knock out the red and hair and keep them at bay for a while.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Boyd_Ch...nterprises_(Chemi_Pure)-BE1115-FIADAL-vi.html
Can find it online anywhere or at most pet shops. Use as directed, do not overdose it.
Few days later run a 20% water change.
Works wonders and safe for fish and inverts.

Is that a nanocube? Stock lights?
Most of the small covered AIOs with lights built in have enough light to sustain corals but not enough to encourage growth, which is why many retrofit them or just buy a different light source and leave the cover off.

I'd suggest keeping up with 20% weekly water changes with a decent salt. As you're softie heavy you can use something with a slightly lower alk and mineral profile, for example, Reef Crystals instead of Red Sea Pro.

And the tiny lamp you have stuck in the torch coral may be leeching electric into the tank, probably best to remove it.

I do have chemi clean, but i dont like to use it, i used it once in my smaller tank. Reviews scare me. But i do have 2 powerheads...what tiny lamp?? Thats a empty shell its in. Oh wait your joking.. i hope. Lol. Ill try chemi clean now, i did order more phosphate filters too. Its a 36 biocube with stock lights. Its a closed lid thats attached, im not equip as well to change it up. I dont know how