• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Alk low

So it's been a couple of weeks since I checked parameters in the 90. Last night I did and my ALK was way low. Here's the params.
Salinity-.025
Ph-8
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Phos-.07
Calcium-420
ALK-4
Mag-1260

Now my phosphates are down from .08 one week ago. I started my reactor then. A bit less then half of the recommended amount. But the ALK surprised me. I double checked and and got the same reading. I checked my make up water and got 8. So last night I started bringing it up. In anticipation of starting Kalk in top-off. How slow should I move it? I dosed 20ml last night and i checked again this morning and im at 5 dkh. Im using BRS Alk solution to raise it. Then I will start the Kalk to keep it there. For what it's worth all the corals look good except for a few zoas that are half closed. Also how long should I run the half amount of GFO before increasing to full? Thanks in advance

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Which test kit are you using to measure ALK? If ALK is at 4 then you will see affect on corals. I think u should test using another test kit.

Sunny

i had the same problem yesterday....started dosing brightwells alkaline8.3 to raise it and added kalk to the top off container
cant figure out what made it change so suddenly..... my tank parameters have been rock solid for months and this is the first time i have had a drastic change in the readings...............

ph 8.1
alk 4.9
cal 520
mag 1400
phosphate ,ammonia, nitrite & nitrate 0.0

had trop double check and all readings were confirmed.....just weird

Which test kit are you using to measure ALK? If ALK is at 4 then you will see affect on corals. I think u should test using another test kit.

Sunny

Right now API, tonight something different as im gonna get something on the way to work. I would have thought I would see effect also. I realize that the test might not be the most accurate, but it should give me a ball park reading at worst , no?
Anyway we'll see this evening.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
API are garbage when it comes to measure ALK. Get a Sailfert Kit and test again.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
How about Hannas? Does anyone recommend these units? Im struggling right now to get consistent result from the Hanna units

API are garbage when it comes to measure ALK. Get a Sailfert Kit and test again.

I know. Everytime I go to get them I see something else I want first. Lol. I'm gonna pass be allquatics to see what they have. I'm pretty sure they only carry sera and API. Might have to hit somewhere else.

for what is worth... i used API also and the trop retested my water with salifert..... both reading were the same

API was 5 and salifert was 4.9

Well allquatics did not have either the red sea or salifert kits. They only have sera. I did not buy it, but did have a sample tested and it confirmed my 5dkh reading on the API. For what its worth they are pretty much the same test I believe. I'm gonna have to get out to hidden reef this weekend, they have the red sea kits there.
Now, my question still stands how fast should I/ can I raise the ALK? I thought I would have seen a difference in the corals with that low of a ALK but I did not. What signs should I look for? I can honestly say that each day I come home they all look good. Even still growing. I was planning on setting up Kalk this weekend so should I wait till I bring it to normal levels first?
Also my mag test is already salifert.

I lack the mathematics major to understand the Salifert Test kits. I use LaMotte for ALK - really straightforward and great to use, albeit more expensive.

Your ca and ph appear spot on.

I'd check the ph at night to see if there is any swing/difference. isn't Alk supposed to buffer the swings? A low alk reading would mean a reduced buffer and corals would be subjected to a variable PH.

Well the PH last night was at 8. This morning the PH was still at 8. last night Alk was 4, this morning 5. I dosed alk last nigh so i expect this was the reason.

Jim I did see that some time ago. I'm gonna revisit it to refresh my memory. Are you still using them?

Yup, still using them, and I feel confident enough in them that I bought the refills for them too. I intend to check them against each other to see how they compare.

If your pH is 8, then you need to raise it to 8.2-8.4 first with CaOH or kalkwasser before you buffer it. I think that's the optimal pH range for corals. You said you dosed with "alk" last night. I'm assuming that is buffer (carbonates, bicarbonates, etc.). What you did last night is buffer the tank water to keep it from changing from pH 8, that's why your alkalinity went up by 1. However, if that is your preferred pH, then disregard the CaOH and keep adding your buffer till you get to around 10.

I have found and read that Kalk drips are not very effective for bringing up Alk levels. They are good at helping keeping them up, but not bringing them more then slight amount. Many products like Brightwells Alkaline8.3 will bring it up quickly, but also spike your PH. I recommend using Arm&Hammer baking soda gradually to begin bringing it up a point a day or so. It buffers the Ph to be stable and even go down slightly in the short run. This come from Randy Holmes Farley on reef central and I have been doing it for years since I have naturally high PH.
Bob

I don't follow what your saying. I added only the alk part of the 2 part. Not a buffer.

I'm not going to use Kalk to raise. I am raising seperate. Then I will begging Kalk or start dosing to keep it there.

Also, I have always gone on the premise that Ph of 7.9-8.4 is a good range. Some tanks just won't remain higher then 8.0 without a lot of crazy buffering. If you are at 8 with alk of 4, you will probably see a Ph spike that will climb above 8.4 with most buffering products after a couple days. You can temporarily reduce this by dosing with vinegar per 75G or rely more on the baking soda which has been great with me system that I have up with SPS and anennmes for the last four years. Be careful not to use Baking Powder, only Arm and Hammer baking soda if you choose this

Hi, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. What are the chemical components of the solutions you have added and/or plan to add to change pH and/or alkalinity.