• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Copepod Farm

So I finally am moving my box turtle outside and with her 20 long tank I don't know what to do. I'm either going to do a dart frog tank, a vampire crab tank, fiddler crab tank, or macroalgae and pod farm.
If anybody has a pod farm would you mind showing me pictures? I'll probably use a bunch of PVC, a little bit of extra rock from my tank, an air stone and a light. Of course with a bunch of chaeto and some other macroalgae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, not sure why this went into want to buy.. Would a moderator mind moving it into another section? Stupid phone app put it here lol

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Tyler , my son had dart frogs about 8 tanks and what a pain it was growing fruit flies. The stores here are costly and you don't get much. I had 4 cultures going at one time and glad its over. If you do decide I have a great recipe for the flies that never failed me.

Tyler , my son had dart frogs about 8 tanks and what a pain it was growing fruit flies. The stores here are costly and you don't get much. I had 4 cultures going at one time and glad its over. If you do decide I have a great recipe for the flies that never failed me.

Very cool, thank you! I definitely only want 2 or 3 frogs to keep it easy so hopefully I don't need a ton or cultures

a friend of mine i gave my old 10 gallon nano tank to accidentallty started a copepod farm.. he added a large chunk of live rock that had green star polyp i got from a member on here but didnt have a place to store it while my tank was being set up. after a few weeks in his nano he started getting tons and i mean tons of copopods as well as a bunch of other hitch hikers such as bristle worms and algea and anemones no the tank is over run with the worms and copepods so he is basically making it like a refugium and plans on using the pods to feed his fish. a part of me is glad i didnt add the rock to my tank cause of the worms but the pod colony i wouldnt mind

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I heard you can do a pod colony in your display by wrapping a piece of LR with fine mesh. This will allow smaller pods to be food while larger ones reproduce.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
whats your fruit fly mix?
Raising a newborn Jackson Chameleon. 3 weeks old today!

I love those guys. I currently have a male Crested Gecko but he is very skittish and doesn't like being held. Very picky eater. I feed the watermelon gecko powder mixed with water. It's good for 1 week but he only eats a little. I tried other food and he doesn't touch it. Not sure how its even alive.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I couldn't find the one I used to use many years ago but is similar to this recipe. This will make several cultures so I would start small and each culture should be started a week or two from each other in case of a crash. I only had this happen to me twice.

6 cups potato flakes
1 cup powdered sugar (I never used sugar)
1/2 cup brewers yeast
1/2 tsp cinnamon
mixed with 50/50 vinegar and water
active yeast sprinkled on top

Also, if you go to the these sites they are helpful. dendroboard.com and chameleonforums.com.

I couldn't find the one I used to use many years ago but is similar to this recipe. This will make several cultures so I would start small and each culture should be started a week or two from each other in case of a crash. I only had this happen to me twice.

6 cups potato flakes
1 cup powdered sugar (I never used sugar)
1/2 cup brewers yeast
1/2 tsp cinnamon
mixed with 50/50 vinegar and water
active yeast sprinkled on top

Also, if you go to the these sites they are helpful. dendroboard.com and chameleonforums.com.

Don't know if I could reccomend joining Dendroboards. I tried to learn some stuff there and was greeted by a bunch of rude people who were not willing to help me learn about what I was asking about but instead other species not even close to dart frogs, and then they decided to call me ignorant when I said that I had asked about a species of tincs and not fiddler crabs, which they claimed were not brackish and should only be kept in full saltwater, which I have never heard before. They act like they're the smartest people in the world and while I respect that they are more knowledgeable about me on a lot of things that I am not experienced in there are much better ways to go about it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yeah some people are jerks in there but if you just read its a good source of info. There are other sites like Josh's Frog and even met him a few reptile expos.

Yeah some people are jerks in there but if you just read its a good source of info. There are other sites like Josh's Frog and even met him a few reptile expos.

Yes definitely. I found a lot of good info while reading other posts on it but when I made my own post there were replies like "there are already 4 threads with a similar question" as well as saying other things. I'm not generallt a rude person so I really don't like getting rude answers to my questions unless I deserve it for doing something really stupid

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I think @radiata keeps dart frogs n what not as well if I'm right....Bob my apologies if I'm thinking about someone else

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As per pods...
Pod farms are a pain and, unless you have money and time to throw at them, are tough.
Tried a run myself for a while with my big tanks.
You have to consider the species of pod you want to raise (for wrasse, dragonettes, etc, each eats different pods).
You cant raise a batch of 'mixed pods', so a tank or bucket is required for each.
The starter pods aren't cheap.
Then you have to feed them.
This requires growing various planktons, which is a pain.
I had 3 varieties of plankton going, but without diligence, they collapse, very quickly.
Found it a ton easier and cheaper to just buy a bag of mixed pods every 2 months or so and pour it into my tank or sump, where they naturally multiply to fill the tank (and feed my wrasse).
JMHO.

As per pods...
Pod farms are a pain and, unless you have money and time to throw at them, are tough.
Tried a run myself for a while with my big tanks.
You have to consider the species of pod you want to raise (for wrasse, dragonettes, etc, each eats different pods).
You cant raise a batch of 'mixed pods', so a tank or bucket is required for each.
The starter pods aren't cheap.
Then you have to feed them.
This requires growing various planktons, which is a pain.
I had 3 varieties of plankton going, but without diligence, they collapse, very quickly.
Found it a ton easier and cheaper to just buy a bag of mixed pods every 2 months or so and pour it into my tank or sump, where they naturally multiply to fill the tank (and feed my wrasse).
JMHO.

Wow, I had no clue there were lots of species. I was going to throw in a bag of like tigger pods, water from a water change, a huge ball of chaeto, an air stone and some PVC and hope the numbers went up. Gues it's much more complicated than that.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I was running mine to grow specifics, but a small tank with water changes, stone, and hiding spots may do quite well.
Don't know if they'll grow just off cheato, but maybe a pinch or two of powdered coral food every day or two?
OR spirulina (spelling? its powdered seaweed) may work.
Give it a shot. May work out great.