• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Costco Generator Sale - Honeywell 7500 watt...should i buy?

So...i'm in the market for a generator. Figured I should get one with the new fridge the wife purchased. I'd rather not have a full fridge full of bad stuff if the power goes out...not to mention the two tanks.

Anyways - any thoughts on this? Originally $949, now $749.

It appear to have four 20amp 120v outlets...at least according to this site:
plug_image7.jpg

I read this older thread last year http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?74389-Generators&highlight=generator
- but didn't see anyone mention honeywell...

Anyways - if someone thinks strongly one way or the other let me know. Like this will power a fridge plus my tanks right?

sale is valid while supplies last or until oct 7.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I drove past a pawn shop in North Carolina yesterday I saw like 5 of these things. Was in a rush or I would have stopped. Made me wonder if any pawn shops up here have them.

I drove past a pawn shop in North Carolina yesterday I saw like 5 of these things. Was in a rush or I would have stopped. Made me wonder if any pawn shops up here have them.

Pawn shops make me think stolen goods....which is probably not true but just saying...

I've lived in my town for about 5 years now and most of the crime is the drunk driver sort or the bike stolen on main street. Point being I thought our town was like any other. But last year we had some guys drive through and try and steal the generators from my neighbors across the street. Of course the dudes don't know that we have dog walkers who are up at the crack of dawn or earlier. Dog walker raised an alarm and the crooks split before anyone could stop them...but the generators never made it to the thieves car...just on the sidewalk. Apparently my neighbors had been storing them in the outside shed. So these guys were going to the shed and wheeling them out to the sidewalk to steal. I presume they'd put them up on CL or ebay or even a pawn shop.

On the flip side the story for generators in pawn shops could just be people getting their homes foreclosed on and selling everything...

The most pawn shops i've seen are over in Atlantic City. It's more common to see those check-cashing shops these days rather than a pawn shop.

I bought one last summer with the big storm. I got it from home depot. Was 800 bucks. It is another name but has a Briggs and Stratton engine. ITs not being sold now. But it is rated 8k watts. I also recommend getting the subpanel hookup so you can just plug it in outside. I'm in Howell. And I've used it at least 10 times since last summer. I have my basement outlets as well as kitchen garage (freezer out there) also bathrooms and one furnace. ( duel zone). Won't run ac but will keep heat on. :) It's a good investment

This Troy Built was recommended by Consumer Reports, and had its highest rating:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_97483-348-3...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

This Generac came in second, and received its "Best Buy":

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UFRx-lE1MaY

You might consider installing one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...roductId=3131281&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%403cd63cd6]&cmRelshp=req&storeNumber=1637&langId=-1&cId=PDIO1&partNumber=182534-48019-30216+BRK&storeId=10151&rel=nofollow

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This Troy Built was recommended by Consumer Reports, and had its highest rating:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_97483-348-30477_4294747146__?productId=3192419&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

This Generac came in second, and received its "Best Buy":

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...Id=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UFRx-lE1MaY

You might consider installing one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...roductId=3131281&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%403cd63cd6]&cmRelshp=req&storeNumber=1637&langId=-1&cId=PDIO1&partNumber=182534-48019-30216+BRK&storeId=10151&rel=nofollow

Hey Jim I got that Troy Built and it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had a whole house 20 kw installed. Mine is a Honeywell with an automatic transfer switch. In 2011 Honeywell and generac had a licensing agreement, the air cooled engine is generac but the electronics and transfer swithch are Honeywell. They have a 5 year warranty. The generac guardian series only has a 3 year. I have lost power 4 times in the past 2 years that was 2 days or greater. Of those 4 times we were only home for 1 of them. With this generator it goes on automatic, so I do not have to even lift a finger. I am very happy ...as is my reef.

I just had a whole house 20 kw installed. Mine is a Honeywell with an automatic transfer switch. In 2011 Honeywell and generac had a licensing agreement, the air cooled engine is generac but the electronics and transfer swithch are Honeywell. They have a 5 year warranty. The generac guardian series only has a 3 year. I have lost power 4 times in the past 2 years that was 2 days or greater. Of those 4 times we were only home for 1 of them. With this generator it goes on automatic, so I do not have to even lift a finger. I am very happy ...as is my reef.

can I ask how much it cost? what siEge service do you have at your house?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I live in the boonies and have oil heat for the house. Soooo, I had a 500 gal propane tank buried with a line to the generator, in house stove and a quick attach line to our deck grill. ( no more 5 gal tanks from lowes!!). So with all that and a 20 kw generator with an auto whole house transfer swithch...@ 17k. The generator was 5600 with the transfer switch. Every week for 15 min it does a test run and will signal you if there is a problem. I have an in house monitor that shows all the stats for the generator. I know it is a lot of cash....but when you have a lot vested in house stuff, I feel it is worth it. Besides pitching all the food with a power loss will cost you at least3-400$ which equals propane for 3-4 days. For us to when you loose power, we have a well and no power=no water= no flushing, showering,drinking etc. Next time the power goes out I can turn on every light like it's Las Vegas, drinking bourbon on ice while listening to all the neighbors off in the woods camping!

Yes, I am excited!
Pete

I have that generator and I have no complaints. It starts very easily and ran like a champ through last year's hurricane and blizzard incidents. I am embarrassed to say I have tested the low-oil shutoff and it works.

I have that generator and I have no complaints. It starts very easily and ran like a champ through last year's hurricane and blizzard incidents. I am embarrassed to say I have tested the low-oil shutoff and it works.

Nice to know Jim...thanks!

I have a 3500watt generator. Just to run the basics. Tank , fridge , tv , and lights.
I live in the woods of Hammonton so I'm the least of electric co. worries to get electric going in a storm.

One of the important items to look at is the total load in watts it can handle. So a 3500 watt can handle around 3500 watts at one time before getting over loaded. Fridges due to the motor have a high load on the start. I have a Honda EU6500iSas I wanted the inverter for clean power. I paid a lot for it, but I wanted to safe guard all my electronics. There are those who believe it's needed and those who don't. To me everything has a circuit board and I wanted the clean power. There are plenty of articles on the web to debate if it is or not needed. I will agree that having one is better then not. I hooked into my panel with a manual transfer switch. Not as automatic as a whole house, but my house doesn't flood (knock on wood) so having the sumps running if I'm not home is not as much of a concern for me.

Check out the following link from Honda on average start up and runtime loads:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-wattage-estimation-guide

Last edited:
It is always a good idea to add a whole house surge protector to your panel. The cost is minimal and protects anything running on electricity. (furnace, a/c, microwave, etc).

Power went out an hour ago and generator is working like a gem!! I can now look at my wife( doing a party dance)...and say, money well spent!