• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diana’s build

horseplay

NJRC Member
Well thought out sump. Great work. I am gonna disagree with people that refugium is not big enough, as the SOLE nutrient export. But you can always combine it with a little carbon dosing.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
In a 40b that section is fine for a fuge with cheato. I've grown it in a 4" wide section of a previous 40b tank and had to cut it back every week.
Just make sure you've got a good light directly over the top.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So I was walking by one of my quarantine tanks. I saw this and took a ruler to it. What was visible measured 7 inches. By the time I grabbed my cellphone it backed into the rock. Ewwww I don’t mind the small ones but that is a bit big for me.

FA13EB24-5954-4180-AB3E-1741F102A1B5.jpeg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I will be wearing my aquarium gloves from now on. That mama bear isn't coming into my new DT! Once all the corals are in the DT I will deal with that. There are only two rocks in this tank so getting it out hopefully will be easy with some bait food.

We recently removed a rather large one. When it was tank dusk we baited a piece of food near the glass away from the rocks. When it reached across for it I grabbed ITV with large tweeters. Got the whole thing bing bam boom. Kind of felt like Captain Ahab

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well don't know which way to go. @Major League , @Aquarium Care Center, Aquaridise on Rt 18, and The Hidden Reef in PA can not get me a 75g (perferred) or 90g(too deep short arms) non-tempered sides. I have all new supplies: overflow box from Modular Marine, pvc, sump, sand, skimmer etc. Should i just do a 40g breeder? Would the 1600 gph Modular Marine overflow be too much for a 40g? Just so bummed

There has to be someone on this site. That has it. But curious if you tried the hidden reef... they carry a lot of tanks.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@Sponge after getting the other shops telling me no, I drove to Hidden Reef late this morning. They don’t have any 75 or 90 non Reef ready... non-temp glass sides in the store. They are unable to at this time to get any in stock. I thought I was coming home with a tank today or at least ordering one. Hubby won’t let me have a used tank in the house. He’s being very adamant about it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
@Sponge after getting the other shops telling me no, I drove to Hidden Reef late this morning. They don’t have any 75 or 90 non Reef ready... non-temp glass sides in the store. They are unable to at this time to get any in stock. I thought I was coming home with a tank today or at least ordering one. Hubby won’t let me have a used tank in the house. He’s being very adamant about it.

Check out
Ocean gallery they always have tanks in the store

@diana a At least there is a silver lining. Although Jax (Mrs Sponge) is an exception. Just about every other spouse I know. Man or women. Would never use the words “no used tanks in the house”. We truly wish you the very best in your search. Do you plan on going custom. Or just keep trying to hunt down a manufacturer that makes what you want. Oh and one of my tanks in my system is a 90 gallon and you are right. For people like us with a slight disadvantage in terms of arm length hahaha. I would avoid the 90. I can not reach everything without tools. And even then it’s a pain in the butinski

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@Sponge I prefer not to do custom due to cost. If there is no choice then I will look at how much 75g costs. BTW hope you are feeling better!

@amado thank you! I will give them a call in the morning.

View attachment 23694 This will be a very slowww build. I have two 40b empty. One is my QT and the other was DT. I decided to try the Fugi Cube inserts in the 40b. I caulked this today. I will water test it next weekend. If it doesn't crack I will leave the water in in for a week. Hoping that it doesn’t crack like @MadReefer experienced with his inserts.

I gave my rocks(except for two rocks) a vinegar bath, and a bleach bath about 2 months ago. They are in a Brute gathering bacteria for the new tank.

I have been gathering corals for the new 75g tank slowly.
Very well done Diana.. ;)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

SCORE!

Here's the script...

You (cue slumped shoulders and sad eyes): I do so love this hobby, and have driven from shop to shop seeking a new tank, yet unable to find any (emphasis here) new tanks ouside of a single unit, located just over yonder hill.

Hubby (may stick out chest, place shading hand over eyes, and look towards 'younder hill'): Yet, my keen eyes have noticed (shift to car), the carriage is unladen. Why is this?

You: (cue abject defeat, head lowered to stare at ground): For, though it was a beautiful tank, of which, I believe, you would have highly approved, I felt it might be a bit much to fit in our abode and, with the crop running low this year.. (cue palms cupped to face, light sobbing).. I shall endure this palgue bereft of my beloved hobby and shall suffer in silence. But, for tonight only, I shall weep.

Hubby (concern and care pushing into a masculine bravado): Nonsense! For you shall not be denied! This tank shall be your's, whatever the cost!

Cue order of RedSea 525 Reefer Deluxe

See, easy.

SCORE!

Here's the script...

You (cue slumped shoulders and sad eyes): I do so love this hobby, and have driven from shop to shop seeking a new tank, yet unable to find any (emphasis here) new tanks ouside of a single unit, located just over yonder hill.

Hubby (may stick out chest, place shading hand over eyes, and look towards 'younder hill'): Yet, my keen eyes have noticed (shift to car), the carriage is unladen. Why is this?

You: (cue abject defeat, head lowered to stare at ground): For, though it was a beautiful tank, of which, I believe, you would have highly approved, I felt it might be a bit much to fit in our abode and, with the crop running low this year.. (cue palms cupped to face, light sobbing).. I shall endure this palgue bereft of my beloved hobby and shall suffer in silence. But, for tonight only, I shall weep.

Hubby (concern and care pushing into a masculine bravado): Nonsense! For you shall not be denied! This tank shall be your's, whatever the cost!

Cue order of RedSea 525 Reefer Deluxe

See, easy.
Greatest Soliloquy ever

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@Mark_C you must have a soft heart! I tried it on Christopher ...looked at me and said "well you've had a streak of bad luck with that 40 breeder"...that was all he said

LOL one day I'll get my tank. Maybe I just buy a 40b until the LFS start stocking again

radiata

NJRC Member
Four foot 120 has awesome reef tank dimensions. Love it

I think a 120g would have the same problems as a 90g for a short-armed person.

FWIW, I find the spouse who "won’t let me have a used tank in the house" rather curious. My guess is that the spouse's logic is probably connected to the belief that buying a used car is "buying someone else's headache". But, I just don't buy that logic here - a car is really a lot more complex that a fish tank. I've been in the hobby for 45-something years, and I've never had a tank fail on me (knock on wood). Counting up my larger currently-in-use tanks, I have four (180, 55, 120, 120) that I bought used and three (90, 65, 33) that I bought new. (Note that the new 65 and the new 90 (both O'Dells) were bought over 40 years ago).

It seems to me that it could be demonstrated to the spouse that a tank isn't a leaker, by setting it up in the back yard and filling it with water (on a very level surface, of course). Anyone looking to sell a tank that they knew didn't leak should be amenable to letting you do this before they got paid for the tank.

I think that most salt water tank system leaks don't occur because of a tank failure, but because of a logic failure by the aquarist who owns the system, or possibly some attached equipment failure. (But, maybe you shouldn't tell the spouse this!)