• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does MAC certification really mean anything?

I am on my second Foxface Rabbitfish from Absolutely Fish that was fine for about a month and a half and then went downhill overnight and died. I have 3 other fishy inhabitants that are perfectly fine that have been in the tank since it started. From what I have read after a few google searches it seems to me that the symptoms are consistent with cyanide poisoning. Does MAC certification really mean anything, I mean can the importer really have any idea regarding the methods under which their fish are caught?

From everything I have been reading on reefs.org about MAC no it does not mean much. Although I for one take everything I read on the net with a grain of salt. One of the problems I see with cert is the just because store is certified not all there livestock is. In fact I would bet maybe 20% of there fish are certified because there is not many cert fish coming into the country. In theory I truly believe in MAC but think they have a lot of kinks to be worked out.

Greg

Greg is correct IMO. MAC cert is just a bragging position. To be totoaly honest ther is very little ways to be certain that all fish imported are MAC certified. Once an overseas company has the cert they can slack and in most cases they do. I have seen a few come and go fron the MAC lists over time. How can anyone police the collection when 90%+ is done out of sight? It's more inportant to support local grown frags, fish, and inverts. They are far and few between but in the end home grown is always a better option.
~S

grgdnh said:
From everything I have been reading on reefs.org about MAC no it does not mean much. Although I for one take everything I read on the net with a grain of salt. One of the problems I see with cert is the just because store is certified not all there livestock is. In fact I would bet maybe 20% of there fish are certified because there is not many cert fish coming into the country. In theory I truly believe in MAC but think they have a lot of kinks to be worked out.

Greg

i think it was Eric Borneman's talk at MACNA, but someone brought it up in Pittsburg... Exactly what everyone else said... Its not much but the people collecting get certified, but it doesn't mean they follow what they were certified for.. Absolutely Fish does carry MAC certified fish..

Last I checked there were 5 or 6 "certified retailers" in the entire country it might even be less than that, I'll double check later.

from what i heard they lost their mac certification. they ave been seen picking up live stock in local wholesellers. but for some reason they still keep that sign up in their store.

As a retailer you do not have to be MAC certified to receive MAC certified fish. I think its an honest attempt of providing the means to properly collect fish/reduce mortality rates/ and perserve the environment. I buy them regularly and to be honest with you the mortality rates and reasons behind them compared to non-certified fish is about the same. Someone mentioned it above, whos following up on these so-called MAC cert collectors after theyve left?

will i agree with on that, but don't say your a mac cert store when your not. as we all know they should definitely make all the mac collector's follow all the protocols set forth by mac or fine them or just get someone else to do it.also as we now wild cough fish are more sensitive then tank breed fish.

that's not what i said. sorry for the misunderstanding. the above mentioned store has a sign that says they are mac certified and they are no longer mac cert.

I've always been a fan of the reef forums. I like to read and learn from your ideas and practices. I believe your knowledge and information are extremely helpful in guiding us to improve ourselves. Although I've always felt these forums should be for hobbyists, spoken through hobbyists, I feel compelled to chime in here and clear up a few comments.
The Marine Aquarium Council is a lot more than selling MAC certified fish. In fact that's just a small part of the program right now. (Hopefully larger in the near future) If your club is interested in learning more about the Marine Aquarium Council, I urge you to have someone familiar with the whole program really explain it to you.
Becoming a MAC certified facility is a long, tedious process which we went through a few years ago. We had to document our husbandry practices, add/upgrade our systems, and processes (much like a public aquarium). Then an independent certifier from another country spent two days in our store observing our day to day operations, reviewing training manuals and noting our husbandry practices, and systems, etc.
MAC certification does not mean every fish we carry is MAC certified. Fish are only considered MAC certified if they have been handled by MAC certified handlers from the time they are caught to the time they are sold to the aquarist. Our MAC certified fish selection is limited because of this but each MAC certified species is clearly marked "MAC" on our tanks next to fish price. Fish that do not carry that label are NOT MAC certified.
We have NOT lost our MAC certification. On the contrary, we are very involved with MAC in trying to certify other North American facilities. I am also on the MAC S.I.G. board, and I am the chair of CRAAG (Coral Reef and Aquarium Advisory Group), started by MAC certified facilities. I have spoken, and will continue to speak, numerous times around the country to clubs and industry events as an advocate for MAC.
In closing, I hope the group here on NJRC's chat forum might refrain from making comments until they know more about the Marine Aquarium Council and how it works. It is a lot more than an individual fish or coral you buy. To us it was hard work to get certified and is an honor to be certified.

Thank You,
Patrick
Owner
Absolutely Fish

PS-Your experiences, knowledge, and information are endless, and great for coral reef conservation.
Keep up the good work! (I truly mean that)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks, Patrick. It is nice to see a retail store so passionate about upholding the standards of MAC certification.

thank you for the clarification patrick. i got my info from another store, and if i am jot mistaken they got it from one of your former disgruntle employee.

I have to say that I shop at Absolutely Fish fairly often and have alwyays been happy. I can confirm what the owner says about the "Mac" notation on the tanks. I always deal with the same employee, Maurisio (I'm sure I butchered the name) and he took the time to explain the Mac certified fish thing to me.
Tom

I stopped in there today and had a few questions about my calcium and some red slime. Pat helped me out and we also spoke abot MAC a little because off the post I saw earlier in the day. He explained it the quick way because it would have taken awhile. It is very involved especially all the logs they need to do on the tanks and fish. He said if anyone wants to find out more to feel free to ask.