• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Easy Macro Lens

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I became a backer for Easy Macro over on kickstarter and got it in yesterday and figured I would play around with it. This is essentially a lense on a rubber band that goes around your Iphone and gives you macro like photos. I figured for 10 bucks why not?

Pros: Takes pretty good macro style shots, a heck of a lot cheaper than a macro lens
Cons: You need to be really really close to the subject. These frags that I snapped photos of are right next to the glass, trying to take a pic of something in the tank would not work. Obviously it is an Iphone, so no white balancing so you would have to do it post photo

photo59_zps24eeb3f7.jpg

photo58_zps2aa05ed6.jpg

photo57_zpse4b8334f.jpg

photo56_zpse4702d15.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Not bad for $10. Any other info on these like where to buy them?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.easy-macro.com/

I have a coupon code kicking around here somewhere that gives 10% off as well, drop me a pm if you are interested. They are 15 now, but still pretty cheap.

I just ran downstairs and fired these pics off too, the glass wasn't even really clean and I did not position them at all. Maybe later on I will do some more staged shots. This was after I fed the tank, hence the feeders on both the acan frags.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't have an IPhone, but my bro-in-law does and he's a camera geek. Well, last week I saw a deal on living social for this 3-in-1 lens set for $15. So I ordered him one for Christmas. Turns out I had to pay an extra $6 for shipping, but this looks like a much better quality option than the one Mike was referring to (no offense). Of course the normal price tag is $125, so not really a comparison if you didn't get the deal I got.

The one in my link has a magnetic adhesive strip that you attach around your phone camera lens. Then, you just magnetically stick whatever metal rimmed lens you want to the magnet and it gives you different options for photos. This thing works on almost any phone too.

If money isn't an issue, or you can find another similar deal somewhere, I'd recommend looking into this one too.

I don't have an IPhone, but my bro-in-law does and he's a camera geek. Well, last week I saw a deal on living social for this 3-in-1 lens set for $15. So I ordered him one for Christmas. Turns out I had to pay an extra $6 for shipping, but this looks like a much better quality option than the one Mike was referring to (no offense). Of course the normal price tag is $125, so not really a comparison if you didn't get the deal I got.

The one in my link has a magnetic adhesive strip that you attach around your phone camera lens. Then, you just magnetically stick whatever metal rimmed lens you want to the magnet and it gives you different options for photos. This thing works on almost any phone too.

If money isn't an issue, or you can find another similar deal somewhere, I'd recommend looking into this one too.

A magnet may mess with the iPhone's compass, which is what tells you where to turn when you use turn by turn directions. Not a huge issue, but something to keep in mind before you leave it on the phone and make a left turn into a lake.

There was one just like that in the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog for like $99. It was a case/lens combo, so no magnets.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The magnets in earbuds affect the compass also, but that doesn't stop people from using them. :D

Seriously though, that's a good point. You can/should calibrate the compass before and after applying the magnetic adhesive to your phone to remedy that.

malulu

NJRC Member
looks like this Photojojo get the best user review rating on amazon...
:)

I got 3 Lens, here are the results:

Iphone-5s: ORIGINAL, with Photojojo-Fisheye, with Photojojo-Macro, with Photojojo-2X-Zoom
iphone5s-original.jpgphotojojo-fisheye.jpgphotojojo-marco.jpgphotojojo-2x.jpg

iPhone-5s-ORIGINAL
attachment.php

Photojojo-Fisheye
attachment.php

Photojojo-Macro
attachment.php

Photojojo-2X-Zoom (for some reason, i can't get it to focus... could be distant too closed?)
attachment.php

Photojojo-2X-Zoom (retake with longer distant, and it did came up clear...)
attachment.php

iPhone5s-Orginal- Zoom in
attachment.php

Photojojo-MACRO + Zoom in
attachment.php

iPhone5s-Orginal-ZOOM-IN
attachment.php

Attachments

• iphone5s-original-zoom.jpg
    iphone5s-original-zoom.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 116
  • photojojo-zoom-macro-2.jpg
    photojojo-zoom-macro-2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 109
  • photojojo-zoom-macro.jpg
    photojojo-zoom-macro.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 32
  • photojojo-2x-take2.jpg
    photojojo-2x-take2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 102
It won't focus becausee your beyond the minimum range right? Several versatile Nikon SLR lenses can focus within 12" or so from the object, while the higher quality macro lenses can focus as close as 6," even with telephoto range.