• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Freshoffthegrill's 120G Reef Tank

I am back from my deployment and I am finally getting the tank build started! I learned a ton from all the mistakes I made on my 54G Corner and I have done a year of research and planning. I am putting the tank in my basement and I plan on getting the entire build done by the end of August.

What I have so far:

120G Aqueon Dual Overflow
40G Breeder for my sump
20G above the tank refugium

Upcoming projects:

Install a dedicated 20 amp circuit
Custom stand
DIY sump

Questions and things I am undecided on:

1. The tank came with the stock Mega Overflow kit and go with a combination of nylon tubing and pvc or I can do my own plumbing and overflow. The four pre-drilled holes are 1.75" but I am not sure on what concept I can do in place of the stock overflows.

2. Where can I get glass for the baffles for sump?

Find mentor

I highly recommend to find an experienced club member who is willing to mentor you in the
1. fish-tank and fish-area setup
2. plumbing
3. stocking principles (what & when can go into the tank).

Otherwise you'll waste tons of time and $$.

One common source of the wasted $$ is purchases of cheap equipment that soon will have to be replaced.

I hope one of the club members will volunteer to guide you.

Good luck.

I highly recommend to find an experienced club member who is willing to mentor you in the
1. fish-tank and fish-area setup
2. plumbing
3. stocking principles (what & when can go into the tank).

Otherwise you'll waste tons of time and $$.

One common source of the wasted $$ is purchases of cheap equipment that soon will have to be replaced.

I hope one of the club members will volunteer to guide you.

Good luck.

I totally agree, I do not plan to cut corners with equipment, I have learned that lesson the hard way.

Plumbing the tank is where I have the most questions / reservations.

Tank Concept2.jpg

Last edited:
Drain wise, I am a big fan of the Herbie method. Its silent and moves a lot of water. It uses a full siphon and has a back up emergency drain. Reef Central has a nice thread on its principals.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Herbie is great and very easy to setup. use one of the overflow for that. one return is enough for this size tank and the plumbing is less complicated. you can use the remaining hole as another emergency drain. avoid putting the sump under the tank if you can. much easier to work with outside of the stand. if you have the room plumb for a frag tank as well.

I use one pump for the DT return and another for everything else. When use herbie it's better to use a dedicated pump the flow needs to be constant.

Thank you for your service and welcome back.

I agree Herbie is the way to go, I am using it on my 120. Its been great and very quite. Agree it's best to use a dedicate pump for the return.

Herbie is great and very easy to setup. use one of the overflow for that. one return is enough for this size tank and the plumbing is less complicated. you can use the remaining hole as another emergency drain. avoid putting the sump under the tank if you can. much easier to work with outside of the stand. if you have the room plumb for a frag tank as well.

I use one pump for the DT return and another for everything else. When use herbie it's better to use a dedicated pump the flow needs to be constant.

I wish I had room to plumb a sump / frag tank elswhere to a fish room type setup, but I am limited on space. That will be a project when I move to a bigger house, which will mean a bigger tank.

I am looking for advice on a skimmer for the system. I figure the total system volume will be around 150 gallons. I was looking at a Super Reef Octopus 2000IN, but I am up for input any recommendations and or experiences with skimmers for a system this size.

Check out the co2 from aquamaxx, great skimmer, hard to find in stock. If you are looking to save a few bucks check out the bubble magus curve 7.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have right around 150 total gallons on my system and i use a reef octopus classic 202-s, does the job nicely and won't break the bank.

Equipment list so far:

Apex Controller to alleviate stress my significant other feels when I am away from the tank.
JBJ ATO w/ Aqualifter
MP 40 QD
Vectra L1
2x Radion G4 (enroute)

Once livestock is in tank:
Skimz SM 163
Algae Scrubber

Future equipment:
Carbon Reactor
Dosing pump: TBD