• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GFO storage question

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I noticed today that the zip lock bag of GFO has condensation inside. Is this okay? If not how should I store the GFO?

Thanks,
Mark

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The GFO is to be kept damp. Keep it in an airtight container. If it starts to dry at all add a little bit of RO/DI.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have some that dried out? Is it trash now? not sure what to do with it. was thinking about just making it moist again with RODI water and then using it, but I'm afraid to!

Taz

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't be afraid. The worst that could happen (?! LOL) is that it won't work. Just test the effluent for PO4 and see if it is reducing in comparison to the tank water. It wouldn't hurt to do a search on RC. Look for Rowa Phos.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Rich,
Good point about the freezer. I used to keep the large cans of coffee in the fridge so it wouldn't go stale.
Thanks

Not all GFO is "wet", some forms are hydrated and some are unhyhdrated, it depends on the type, of which there are about 8 of but only about 4 sold in this hobby. Most do to get into the crystal chemistry of GFO's. For example, there is what is called the minerals Goethite and Limonite which are Iron(III). One is an anhydrous and the other a hydrated form. When hydrated they are given the (FeO(OH)·H2O, which is the same as (Fe(OH)3 only written different and called Limonite. The anhydrous is â-FeOOH or Goethite. This is the case with Goethite, where a Greek symbol "a" , actually Alpha α, is added to the front to indicated there are other morph's. The other morphs are given different names like Feroxyhyte and Lepidocrocite, which have a different Greek symbol in front of its chem formula. Some do not like to go by mineral names and just give the composition but the reader needs to know that α-FeO(OH) is not the same as γ-FeO(OH). Think of these morphs like Calcite vs Aragonite, they are both CaCO3 but not the same and have different chemical properties. Then there are hydtated and unhydrated forms of these GFO's more or less. There are also some other uncommon or rare forms. Hydrated GFO, like ROWA should be kept damp and dry or unhydrated GFO, like Bayoxides from BRS should be kept dry. As far as dried out "wet" GFO I do not know how it will fare if it is rehydrated but the adsorption rate will/ should change to a less value.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know this is a old thread but it was the one stuck out in google I have 2 bags of GFO from a member who got it from a old group buy here.. is the stuff the club got supposed to be damp or dry?.. only reason i'm asking is one bag is damp and the other is dry :-\

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sid, I am guessing, not knowing how old the guy is that you got this from, but I believe that the club was picking up hydrated iron oxide. Again, that is from my very limited existence with the club. Anyway, once hydrated GFO “dries” out, it’s most likely useless!