• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Growing Phytoplankton at home

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
OK, so, this is my rough guide on phytoplankton. Most of it is coming direct from brain to keyboard, checking some references as I go to ensure my memory is correct and I wasn’t delusional at the time, which is rare. Use at own risk. References and a number of great links provided at end.

What are phytoplankton?

From the Greek phyto (plant) and plankton (drifting). Some are bacteria, some are single celled plants that live in water and include diatoms, cyanobacterria, green algae, and more. They survive by photosynthesis and, depending on their composition and light absorbtion, can be blue, green, brown or red in color. The microscopic green and brown varieties are the most beneficial to home aquariasts.

What do they do?

They are arguably one of the, if not the, most important organism in the food chain. They are the primary food source of the ocean feeding everything from zooplankton and amphipods to whales. As they use and absorb carbon dioxide during photosynthesis they collectively function as the largest carbon dioxide scrubber on the planet.

What is their use to aquarists?

Fish will eat it, as you know fish will eat anything. If they don’t like it they’ll spit it out, then try to eat it again, spit it out, and another fish will eat it… ad infinitum. As for coal, most corals are hermatypic (autotrophic and heterotrophic), meaning they can use light or food as a fuel source, with the exception of the gorgonians, which require food.

As reefkeepers, we feed our fish directly and occasionally feed our corals and clams directly - and there is a large array of products out there trying to grab our attention. With phytoplankton dosing we're indirectly feeding fish, directly feeding corals and clams, and we're also adding a very important factor into that food chain - Omega 3 high usaturated fatty acids (HUFAs) which are essential to the development and growth of sea life and are often low in quantity, or even non-existant in the home aquarium.

As an added benefits phyo feeds fish fry, brine shrimp, amphipods, and copepods in your tank or ‘farms’, allowing their populations to bloom and become more nutritious food sources.

What are the disadvantages?

Phytoplankton is microalgae and outside its ‘farm’ will die in your tank if unused. Too much will have the same effect as any other food, increased phosphates followed by algae growth. A good place to start is at 5ml per 10 gallons 2 or 3 times a week. I’m running a 90 gallon reef and I dose 50ml every few days.

Choosing your phytoplankton

There are thousands of types of phytoplankton. Most are impossible to grow in home conditions, but a few have the capability to grow well given the proper environment and husbandry techniques.

It’s important to realize that each type of phyto differs in size, amino acids, HUFAs, and growth conditons such as temperature, salinity, pH, etc… As such, it is a good idea to cultivate a number of types of phyto and blend them together before introduction to your tank.

Most of the home grown or purchased phytos are Nanochloropsus, a simple to grow species of phyto which, well nutritious, does not cover a full spectrum of requirements for all species in your tank. I’d advise doing some research and talking to a number of people in the know (that’s what the internet is for, find places, call them) but, to be honest, if you want to be lazy I’ve done the work for you.

Here is what I use in Dr. C’s Phytoblend. Note three diffent sizes, omega profiles, and purposful amino profiles:

Nannochloropsis oculata
A 2-6 micrometer size, 16-43% HUFA, with an amino profile leaning towards B-12 to promote improved immunity in your tank.
Requires 60-86 degrees, 5,000 LUX (illumination), salinity 22-25 (1.017- 1.019)

Chlorella vulgaris
A 5-10 micrometer size, 25-60% HUFA, amino profile towards improved growth.
Requires 65-80 degrees, 4,000 - 5,000 LUX, salinity 26 (1.020)

Tetraselmis tetrahele
A 9-14 micrometer size, 5% HUFA, amino profile towards antibiotic properties.
Requires 70-80 degrees, 2,000 - 18,000 LUX, salinity 30 - 38 (1.023 - 1.029)

Do your research and choose phyto that will grow well in the environment you’re going to provide while providing the most benefit to your stock.

Feeding your phytoplankton

So, though food, your phytoplankton has to eat and, as usual there are arguments all over the net on the topic of feeding phyto. Here’s the facts, you need 3 things:

Water
Many claim you can use basic tap water, many claim you should only use RODI, many claim you should quarantine the water for… sorry, wandered into a different site for a moment.
Anyways, yes, you can use tap water but keep in mind that any impurities may get transferred to your tank. Granted it will only be a few milliters every few days with nearly no repercussions, but for peace of mind it’s best to use RODI or distilled water for your base.

Light
Any grow light should do. The two big stores have nice compact grow flourescents (T5) for about $50. Hook your grow light into a simple timer. You want bright light for 16 hours a day and total darkness for 8 hours per day.

Here’s a funny story about grow lights. When I went to pick mine up at one of the two big home stores, I asked an employee, a tiny woman of about 70 years of age, very grandmotherly in appearance, where the grow lights were. She told me and I thanked her. As I was turning to walk away she said, ‘Oh, and if you’re growing pot don’t forget to ventilate the room with a few fans’. It was one of the few times in my life where my brain actually stopped working for a few seconds.

Food
Again the arguments abound. There are two primary options.
The first and simplest, as suggested on Melev’s Reef, is liquid Miracle Grow. A few drops per gallon directly into the culture. Easy, cheap, fast, and it works well. The concern is that the composition of the product contains trace metals, including copper, and though it will be present in such a minor concentration that it shouldn’t have any effect on your tank, if you’re a purist you’ll probably want to avoid it.

The second option is for a product called f/2 which is a blend of nutrients and trace minerals specific to phytoplankton and most often free of preservatives and trace metals. This is the option I use.

Equipment

You should now have:
Phytoplankton cultures
A water source
Grow lights
Food

You need:
An air pump
An air line splitter if growing more than 1 culture
Flexible and rigid tubing
A grow container for each culture - 2L soda bottles or gallon milk jugs will do fine

The day before starting your farm

Get 1 gallon of water for each of your cultures and get it to proper salinity for each culture.
Add your food source to the water, 5ml if using Miracle Grow, 1.5ml (or 40 drops) if using f/2.
Let it sit overnight to stew together.

Vinegar bath your container(s) of choice (you can also prep the cap to accept a rigid airline by drilling a 1/4” hole in it).

PART 2 FOLLOWS (I cant post more than 1,000 words apparently)

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
PART 2

The big day

So, here's all you need to do. Fill your chosen container with the appropriate amount of prepared water and follow the instructions, provided by whomever you purchased your culture from, to add the culture to your container.
Cap container, run rigid airline into it (through the cap), and adjust the airflow so you get a moderate air flow.
That's it, farm is started.
Now, with the exception of shaking it, leave it be for 2 weeks.

Maintaining the farm

Shake it every day, or better yet, every time you pass it. Phyto will grow and clump and has a tendency to sink to the bottom of the container. If left there it will die, rot, goodbye farm. Shaking the container brings it back into the general population.

Growth

Over the next few weeks, your culture will get darker and darker. After about 2 weeks prep a larger container. You're movin' on up , the the East Side, to a deeeeeeluxe apart... sorry sidetracked by 70's sitcom.
Anyways...get a slightly larger container. Vinegar bath it. Cut the hole in the top.
Prepare a small batch of 2 quarts per culture of water at proper salinity.
To the water add your food - 8ml of MG or 2ml (50 drops) if using f/2 (note we've increased the dosage a bit, its because we are now feeing your initial culture and giving it a bit more to encourage growth into the additioanl volume).
Let sit overnight as before.
Rinse container.
Transfer the liquid part of the culture to the new container, leave the sludge behind.
Top up with the new water mixture.
Leave for a week or two.

At this point you should be able to start drawing off some to add to your tank, as said 5-10ml per 10 gallons, 2-3 times per week should do nicely.

Daily Maintenance

As mentioned above, shake your containers.

Weekly maintenance

Once per week prep some water to salinity and add food. Use this to top off your culture.

Monthly maintenance

You need:
Another duplicate container

Once per month you need to prep a second container with the standard overnight vinegar bath.
Rinse and then transfer all the liquid from your original container into the new container, leaving the sludge behind.
Than clean the used container and get it on deck for next month.

You need to do this as the algae will begin to colonize the walls of the container, where it will eventually die and foul the culture.

Thats about it, aside from...

WARNINGS AND ADVICE

If you don't shake the container, you will have a large container of rotting plant matter after a few days.
Same if you don't transfer to a new container monthly.

Never mix cultures. If you want to grow 2 types, use 2 containers and label them. Avoid cross contamination. Phyto plays survival of the fittest just like everything else. If you put 5 phytos together, within a few months you will have just 1.
Best is to mix your phytos before adding to your tank (or at least add the mix within a week).
If you like you can bottle the mix, it will survive at room temperature for a couple of weeks.
If you do bottle, you can also refrigerate, which keeps the phyto in suspension for up to 6-8 weeks.

Keep a secondary culture as backup. I run 2.5 gallon containers for my cultures but I also have a duplicate 2 liter culture of each. If there's a crash in one of the containers, you have a backup starter.

Phyto has no particular smell. When phyto goes off it give a rotting earthy smell. If you've ever smelled bad broccoli or lettuce, that's the one. If you think your phyto is off do not use it, you'll be pouring pure phosphates into your tank.

In Final

Hope this guide helps. Good luck with growing. If you don't want to go through the trouble and want to give phyto a go drop me a PM.

Pics

Here's my primary station. Three types of phyto, blackworms, and pods. Note the 3 containers sterilizing on the right, they're my monthly changeover containers.

IMG_2652_zpsqdvxhzib.jpg

And here's how the mix looks. If its healthy it should be a clear emerald green...

IMG_2324_zpsvnh3rpyn.jpg

Good luck. Any questions please feel free to drop me a line. I'll help as best as I can.

References
What are Phytoplankton? : Feature Articles
Phytoplankton cult art Sara
The Breeder's Net: Culturing Larval Fish Foods, Part I
Dosing Phytoplankton in a Marine Aquarium
Culture your own Phytoplankton | Melev's Reef

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
I started the culture in two identical 1L bottles. Salt water is mixed with the recommended dosage of ferts. 7 days later the culture has turned emerald green. So I poured out half of one of the bottles and refilled with the same fertilized water, leaving the other bottle untouched. Two days later the two bottles have the same color again. So what does this mean? Is growth limited by nutrient? Or limited by population density? If it's limited by nutrient maybe more fertilizer can be added to make it greener?