• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

In tank sumps/ AIO's

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I got back into reefing while recovering from covid when I saw I could have a reef tank with corals. Did some research and bought an AIO 13g- now I have 4 tanks, all are AIO that I built using the same principal of the 13g- 3 chamber on one end, overflow, middle and return- been thinking about moving to a middle overflow with 2 returns for my 75g- would like some input from anyone who also has in tank sumps for ideas, experiences- what you'd do different

I’m looking to DIY my first in tank AIO style filter in a 30 gallon cube. I wanted to drill it but I’m pretty sure it’s tempered. So AIO is my next choice. Do you have any advice for my situation? I want to keep things simple/basic. I was thinking I’ll make a rack out of egg crate so I can put a filter pad on the top of the overflow chamber with room for a bag of carbon or gfo underneath. I’d plan to change out the filter pad every two or three days (I do this now on my 55 w sump). I’d put the heater and maybe a mini skimmer in the center chamber and the return pump in the last chamber. I also am considering 4 chambers where the last chamber serves as the ATO reservoir. Otherwise the ATO would seem to clutter up an otherwise clean set up. Also, I’m considering using clear plexiglass (reused COVID shields) and just scuffing it up and spraying w reef safe flat black spray paint. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Sorry I can’t add any insight to your designs.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I hadn't thought about using clear acrylic and painting it, don't know how the paint will hold up, but I have read that scuffed acrylic will grow algae faster. I'll stick to black for now- not that expensive. I use coarse/ medium (20-30ppi ) foam instead of pads- easy to clean and re use- I recently moved the foam from the first chamber and now grow chaeto in it- heater in second with foam on the top overflow- another piece of foam vertical in the third with a bag of ceramic discs in the last with the return pump. I've cut my own overflow slots in the acrylic, but recently saw one that's pre cut- it would stop any snails from getting in the filter section- I'm going to go with a 4 section on at least one end of the 75 with 2 return/ smaller pumps and center overflow.

BTW- you could have a sump using a hob overflow box/ pump

I hadn't thought about using clear acrylic and painting it, don't know how the paint will hold up, but I have read that scuffed acrylic will grow algae faster. I'll stick to black for now- not that expensive. I use coarse/ medium (20-30ppi ) foam instead of pads- easy to clean and re use- I recently moved the foam from the first chamber and now grow chaeto in it- heater in second with foam on the top overflow- another piece of foam vertical in the third with a bag of ceramic discs in the last with the return pump. I've cut my own overflow slots in the acrylic, but recently saw one that's pre cut- it would stop any snails from getting in the filter section- I'm going to go with a 4 section on at least one end of the 75 with 2 return/ smaller pumps and center overflow.

BTW- you could have a sump using a hob overflow box/ pump
Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to let the scuffed/painted acrylic get covered in growth. I like the look actually. And I'm SUPER cheap. I enjoy DIY and trying to really economize, it's part of the appeal to me, and with all this plexiglass being thrown away as stores pull down their COVID shields, I'm trying to come up with things to use it for.

How well does the chaeto grow, what size is that chamber and how do you light it? Maybe you can post a picture? I'm having trouble following how you have everything arranged. I've read AIO's don't work well as refugiums, though I'd much prefer to have one than not. If you're having success, I'd like to hear the details and maybe I'll give it a shot.

What is driving you toward the 2 small return pumps? Just curious.... I like the idea of redundancy. I'd eventually like to get to a "high reliability" design and that would contribute toward that end.

Lastly, I am currently running a DIY PVC HOB overflow with an aqualifter pump (which I can no longer get if it fails). I'd like to graduate to something much more "bullet proof" as I see this as a vulnerability point of possible failure. I wanted to move to a drilled overflow with an emergency drain, but the next tank I'm working on failed the "sunglass test" for tempered glass (as best I could tell) and I don't think I want to risk drilling it. Besides, the overflow I want is $100 and I don't want to order it then have the tank fail when I try to drill it....

Thanks again for the reply.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
First of all, I'm the original Cheap/ DIY guy lol. I save/ re use/ recycle just about everything- nice that you can get your hands on acrylic- I don't dumpster dive :D I would certainly use the clear as partitions- I also don't trust myself drilling a tank- I tried cutting glass once- didn't go well.

I can't post pics- one tank the first chamber is full of branch sponges, the second chamber is full of spirorbid worms- the other tank the filtration system is behind the tank next to a wall.

Attached is a drawing of the basic design I'm currently using except it doesn't show that I split the return to high/low for a 550gph pump. With this, or any design the return chamber has to be large enough to hold the return pump- the other chambers are divided by what's left - in this case 18"- 6"= 12" I thought that middle would be good for both chaeto and the heater- problem with the upflow for the chaeto- currently have the chaeto in the 1st/ overflow chamber with a submersible white led 11" light- an overhead grow light works too

I like the idea of having 2 return pumps for a few reasons- redundancy for one, another if the media gets clogged things still work and your not sucking air and putting all those bubbles in the tank, another is that your still moving a lot of water but slowing it down for certain apps- heating/ skimmer/ biological

Attachments

• 20211025_134930.jpg
    20211025_134930.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 9
Interesting design. I'm learning.... The fuge in the first chamber, does the cheato grow well for you like that? How big is that chamber, 4.5 x 6 x 18 ish? Also, the only mechanical filtration I see is the course/medium sponge. I guess the cheato captures some of the particles as they float around too?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
The first chamber is 4"x 5"x depth- Chaeto grows fine with the strip light- yeah, the chaeto collects a bunch. I also have sponges growing in that chamber. You could top it off with a pad, I just found that the foam clogged up too fast- I find that having it in the second and third work better. You should have seen the filter that came with my 29 cube- a joke
I just find using foam that I have a lot of flexibility, can add/ take away as needed and use horizontally or vertically

Last edited: