• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweers rebuild. 57g rimless

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hey guys I'm in the planning stages of my rebuild. It's going slow so I figured maybe if I post here it will give me a kick in the butt to start this. This may be slow going but I'm hoping to get things going so bear with me.
Here us the list of things I need to get:
-Deep Blue 57g rimless
-40 breeder for sump
-Stand which will be built by myself and my friend who is a finish contractor. It will be 2x4 framed and skinned with 1/4" ply in the back. For the sides and doors I am planning on using red cedar boards I can get from a local saw mill.
-Sand? Still debating if I will go BB or a shallow sand bed. Also not sure which sand I want to go with if I do a sand bed
-RO/DI system. I'm leaning towards a spectrapure unit.
Things I have:
-Tek elite 6 bulb fixture with 6 Cree royal blue LEDs
-Reef octopus Dnwb-110
-Vortech mp10
-Mag 7 return pump which also feeds the skimmer
-Next Reef mr-1 biopellet reactor. Not sure if ill be running biopellets or not at this time
-"BRS" style carbon/GFO reactor
-100 lbs (+\-) rock from my previous tank. Rock has been cleaned since my tank crash.

I may have missed a few things but this is what I came up with off the top of my head. If you guys see anything you would change or add I would appreciate the input.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
So not much has gone on with this build. Still trying to get all the planning done and more importantly get the funds together. I saw a thread on another site about someone with the 57 rimless who removed the overflow box and cut it down so it wasn't so big. I really like this idea and it got me to thinking. I did a little searching and found out that the non-reef ready tank is not tempered on the back pain. So now I'm thinking about getting the non reef ready and installing a glass holes overflow on it. What do you guys think ??

What size is the non-RR tank and who makes it. Most of Deep Blues bigger tanks are all tempered.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
When will you be starting the stand?

I really have no idea. Between work, life and getting money together I don't really have a time line. I'm hoping to at least get it started this month.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
So I have bounced this idea of the glass holes box off a few people and the one thing that stood out is that some are saying that "starfire" glass does not drill well. I know they don't use "starfire" but the glass they use is similar. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So now I'm thinking about getting the non reef ready and installing a glass holes overflow on it. What do you guys think ??

Dance Glass-Holes Dance

The only way I'd go with a tank. Those behemoth conventional overflows are a joke.

I too have heard story's of glass problems and the edge tanks. You can't beat the glass holes overflow though. If you do it take it slow and you should be fine.

I would get the rr tank and make the overflow smaller, that's what I did. It's easily half the size it was and still plenty of room for the overflow piping

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I would get the rr tank and make the overflow smaller, that's what I did. It's easily half the size it was and still plenty of room for the overflow piping

How did you go about making the overflow smaller? The guy I saw do it cut the whole overflow out and cut it down. I also saw one where a guy cut out the original overflow and built a new one from acrylic.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Luke, my son (I mean Kevin), don’t be drawn into the dark side by these Bogan deceivers who think that that monstrous black box is the way to go. Believe in the Force……….Glass-Holes!

Knowing that the glass is not tempered, you’re 90% of the way there. Drilling is a breeze…..you keep the drill going real slow with no pressure on the glass….let the bit do the drilling. This is especially true when you are about to break through to the other side. If there is pressure on the drill, you will splinter off small shards of glass. Not a pretty hole! Again, very easy.

And to MatteZ who offered bits….the Glass-Holes kit comes with everything you need, including the correct bit! Good stuff.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, I know it’s short notice, but I just received an email from Glass-Holes for their Ground Hog’s Day sale. From now until February 3, take 10% off your entire order. Apply coupon code 'BillMurray' at checkout.

Don't forget to run water on it. I also found that if you put tape on the bottom of the glass it doesn't splinter as much. Also lay a towel or something down just incase the tape doesn't hold the cut out. You wouldn't want it falling on the tank and cracking the glass.