• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lefko's 180

Figured i would make a post and then follow it up with a bunch of photos.

I started in this hobby back in 1982 when i took over my Dad's fresh water tanks and converted them to Salt. There was a time when I had 5 tanks going during the 80s and really enjoyed it, even got my PADI certification so I could see it in the wild. When I moved out of my parents house I shut down all my tanks.

Fast forward 17 years and I am back in the hobby and have had my 180 up and running since October 2011.

I purchased a MarineLand 180, including the stand and canopy. Then went a little crazy on equipment: 4 AI Sol Blues, 2 Ecotech MP40, Trigger Sys Elite 36 and Bursa Protein Skimmer, Neptune System Controller. I then did a mix of live and dry rock (20/80) with live sand. Tank cycled quickly and I started to add some fish. Over time I lost a few batches of fish but corals are doing pretty good so far.

Over the past few months I have added a few pieces of equipment: Neptune VXM, BRS Dual Chamber reactors and a home made skimmate locker. I also replaced the glass covers over my tank with a custom screen which solved my heat problems. Been enjoying it so far and my kids are really getting into it as well.

Miter rails for mounting the AI lights: 100x better than official kit
Screen Shot 2012-08-08 at 11.36.37 AM.jpg

Full Tank Shot (not such good quality)
IMG_3508.jpg

Lost this gorgeous Mimic Tang to my MP40
IMG_4257.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Tank looks really nice, can't wait to follow the progress.

Current Live Stock:
Fish: Niger Trigger, Orange Back Fairy Wrasse, Madarin, Pair of Maroon Clowns, Flame Angel, Bristletooth Tang, Naso Tang, Yellow Cromis Wrasse, Pair of Lyertail Anthias, Longnose hawkfish

Coral: Pink/Green Wells, Orange Acans, Dragon Eye Zoas, Purple People easter Zoas, Branching green/purple frogspawn, green/purple wall frogspawn, purple/green wall Hammer, purple torch, green tip torch, Purple Monti, Neon Eyed Favites Brain, Sea of Green Lobophyllia, Pink Rainbow Chalice, Christmas Favia, Bubble Gum Favia

Others: Marble starfish, long spine urchin, cleaner schrimp, various hermits and snails.

Thanks Darren. I have been trying to cherry pick my pieces. about to order stuff this week to add two or three more pieces. Its actually a year now, which i can't believe.

It has been over a year since I started and things are still going well. This weekend I will be installing two dosing pumps to keep ALK and Ca more stable. Come spring time I am planning on an automated water change system, but not committed as of yet.

IMG_5244.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Looks great, what auto water change system where you looking at?

Using a liter meter system to drain a few mLs every few minutes and then replace it with fresh salt water. If I take my RODI unit and use it to fill a 55gallon container, that 55 gallons would last me about 2 weeks, but would only take a day to fill and get to room temperature. So basically 1 hour worth of effort every two weeks to do a few gallons a day automated.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Nice I know a few people on here are doing that and really like the stability of the constant water changes. Good luck.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hey @lefkonj! Are you still running this tank or did you get a new one? I remember a year ago you having trouble with hammer that the head was receding