• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mark's IM 20g

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Did you fill it up yet? I can't get over how awesome the branch layout looks.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Few bits of coral in now.
Fish - clown, generic damsel, saddle puffer (to be moved up with growth).

Just went a bit silly and added river rock as substrate today.
Thought it might look good with the style of tank and would be easy to clean.
Will do an occasional report on how well it works out.

Other than that, have upgraded media baskets with floss, Marinepure wherever I can fit it, Ghost skimmer, IM Aquagadget reactor (phosban and carbon), AI Prime, and making a macro reactor.

IMG_6991.jpg

If I'm making a mistake with the river rock, please, someone let me know. :)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks! Unfortunately its not held together too well. Have to find a solid way of securing it without looking secured, if you get what I mean. This is the first time I've done anything with branch and I'm thinking I may use a bit of it in the next tank.

Agree with the detritus. As bare bottom it was easy to collect as it gathered in a single area. Going to still hit that area while cleaning as well as shifting rocks about. Will see how it goes and post with updates and experiences.

Powerhead is overqualified, just trying to find the right position. Have it on minimal settings and its still knocking things over. I'd like to keep things moving but also want to keep the puffer unstressed. I'm debating on aiming the powerhead towards the bottom of the deep side of the tank to keep any detritus from settling while the spinstreams up top keep circulation for the SPS.

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If you are still up to picking up my ricordias from Dave, I can bring you some Aqua Forest StoneFix to try. I think you will like how strong it is. I have a little left.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
D,
No, didn't bleach. Dropped them into a 1/10 ratio of peroxide/water for a few days.
Rinsed with RODI water.
Dropped them into tank with 1.025, a heater set at 80 and a powerhead at mid setting for a couple of weeks (with no lighting). Also added some Special Blend.
Waited for first diatom nightmare to pass. Added more Special Blend and ran weekly 10% water changes.
Now in next algae concern a few weeks later, but all is as expected.

Edit, posted over each other. Drop me a PM, we can hook up on pick up and drop off stuff.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Thanks! Unfortunately its not held together too well. Have to find a solid way of securing it without looking secured, if you get what I mean. This is the first time I've done anything with branch and I'm thinking I may use a bit of it in the next tank.

Agree with the detritus. As bare bottom it was easy to collect as it gathered in a single area. Going to still hit that area while cleaning as well as shifting rocks about. Will see how it goes and post with updates and experiences.

Powerhead is overqualified, just trying to find the right position. Have it on minimal settings and its still knocking things over. I'd like to keep things moving but also want to keep the puffer unstressed. I'm debating on aiming the powerhead towards the bottom of the deep side of the tank to keep any detritus from settling while the spinstreams up top keep circulation for the SPS.
Some people use polymorph to secure the structures. It will work underwater to secure the rocks and while it's hardening, you can attach small rubble or sand to it so it looks natural.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk