• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 24G Nano-Cube

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start a thread about my 24G NC since I'm new here.

I started the tank about 24 days ago and I just started adding my CUC this weekend. My digital camera is in for repair so I can't get any updated shots at the moment. The posted one is from during setup before I added my LS.

Current specs:
35lbs Fiji LR from Premium Aquatics
20lbs Arag-Alive LS
RO/DI water from my Water General filter
Oceanic Natural Sea Salt

CUC: (until I can get more)
3 cerith snails
3 nassarius snails
3 blue leg hermits
1 peppermint shrimp

I look forward to your comments.

Oh how I like when people use the height of the tank too! Nice.. Love the progress photo as well and WELCOME TO NJRC!. Keep us updated!

Watch the cleanup crew crap.. For a tank your size I would suggest 5 astrea snails, 1 emerald crab, 5 micro bristle stars and possibly a tail spot blenny for algae reduction. Otherwise you are going to get tons of crap and add to the nitrates. the nassarius are going to die unless you feed them algae later on by hand and then they get dependent on it and end up dying anyhow. The other ones are ok. I don't like the peppermint shrimp cause it will grab anything you put in the tank and leave everyone else to starve. The blue legged hermit are decent but watch for polyp picking later on.

Otherwise! Looks great and can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the complement and the welcome mynd.

I'm really happy with how the aquascaping came out. Here's what my full CUC list looks like:

5 cerith
5 astrea
5 nerites
3 blue leg hermits
1 scarlet reef hermit
1 lempet (if I can find one)
5 nassarius
1 peppermint
1 skunk
2 porcelain crabs

I know a lot of people are against the peppermints, but I have a small aptasia problem that I'd like to handle before it gets out of hand. Worst case he'll go back to the LFS.

I'll post more when I can.

mynd said:
the nassarius are going to die unless you feed them algae later on by hand and then they get dependent on it and end up dying anyhow.

Actually nassarius vibex are carrion/detrius eaters - they do not eat algae whatsoever. But the snails may starve if nothing of substance hits the sand. I have never seen my nassarius climb LR - so keep that in mind as your tank looks pretty full. Always neat to see them "erupt" out of the sand when any meaty food hits the sand. I've seen fun battles over food between stars, nassarius, shrimp and hermits. Here's a great (but really old) article by Dr. Ron on them: Nassarius Snails as Scavengers in Reef Aquaria

icecool2 said:
I'm really happy with how the aquascaping came out. Here's what my full CUC list looks like:

5 cerith
5 astrea
5 nerites
3 blue leg hermits
1 scarlet reef hermit
1 lempet (if I can find one)
5 nassarius
1 peppermint
1 skunk
2 porcelain crabs
That stated - while my hitcher nassarius and astreas have lived in the old 55 tank for 3 plus years now - I never could keep my cerith or nerites alive...even though they laid eggs like no tomorrow. I would pay attention to the blue-leg hermits. The hermits I have left in my tank cannibalized the smaller hermits and happen to all have cerith snail shells now.

What is a "lempet"? I assume you mean limpet? Not really sure why you want one - they are known to rasp coralline algae off...and depending on the species, some supposedly are not reef friendly. I made the unfortunate mistake of keeping the large quarter sized limpet in my tank (hitched) and thought one would be ok. I dunno what happened but now i've got like dozens...first they infested by sump, then the overflow, then the fug, now the display. Ah the things I have learned with that tank. If the weather gets nicer and you want one for kicks - I'll just grab one out. I think 5 of them could fit together on a nickel. Right now I'm just smashing them to serve as food... ::)

Porcelain crabs are interesting but I don't know if they should be categorized as CUC. They will filter whatever is in the water column...but not to the point where the water actually is cleaner or anything.

Finally - watch the astereas - if they fall off the glass onto the sand, they have no way of righting-themselves and will die...or be taken out to dinner by one of your hermits.

phil519 said:
Actually nassarius vibex are carrion/detrius eaters - they do not eat algae whatsoever. But the snails may starve if nothing of substance hits the sand.

That's what I thought too. Didn't know there were multiple species. These are the sand ninjas. It's really cool to watch them. Mine like to climb the glass just after lights out which is fun to watch.

phil519 said:
That stated - while my hitcher nassarius and astreas have lived in the old 55 tank for 3 plus years now - I never could keep my cerith or nerites alive...even though they laid eggs like no tomorrow. I would pay attention to the blue-leg hermits. The hermits I have left in my tank cannibalized the smaller hermits and happen to all have cerith snail shells now.

What is a "lempet"? I assume you mean limpet? Not really sure why you want one - they are known to rasp coralline algae off...and depending on the species, some supposedly are not reef friendly. I made the unfortunate mistake of keeping the large quarter sized limpet in my tank (hitched) and thought one would be ok. I dunno what happened but now i've got like dozens...first they infested by sump, then the overflow, then the fug, now the display. Ah the things I have learned with that tank. If the weather gets nicer and you want one for kicks - I'll just grab one out. I think 5 of them could fit together on a nickel. Right now I'm just smashing them to serve as food... ::)

Porcelain crabs are interesting but I don't know if they should be categorized as CUC. They will filter whatever is in the water column...but not to the point where the water actually is cleaner or anything.

Finally - watch the astereas - if they fall off the glass onto the sand, they have no way of righting-themselves and will die...or be taken out to dinner by one of your hermits.

I agree about the porcelain crabs, wrong category. I just want them because they're fun to watch. I didn't realize that astreas couldn't right themselves. That's why I've been avoiding turbos. Looks like they might be off the list too. I just though the limpet was cool and I heard they ate everything. Didn't think about that including coraline. They're off too now.

porcelain crabs are fun to watch indeed...

your nassarius climb glass? unusual since they typically avoid glass/lr. interesting!

Just the one guy did. It was funny actually. He got about 6 inches up the front glass then dropped to the bottom like a rock on his back. He did an awesome swirling kick move and was right side up again. Really cool.

actually no.. nassarius snails do eat algae and I used to feed them by hand to keep them alive. When i first got mine they would actually spend more time on the rock then on the sand. So I can assure that this is incorrect. Maybe i just happen to get the idiots of the bunch, but they were more problem then they were worth. Once they got used to eating algae I provided on the sand they just stayed in one spot till they smelled it again. So maybe mine were dropped as kids. :D

I have had my astreas in the tank now for 6 months and they have never fallen any place in the tank where they were unable to right themselves. There is always a rock or something for them to grab onto close at hand. However, this is correct about them.

A
Ice,

Welcome to NJRC ... hurry and get your camera back so you can snap some more shots and later when you're ready to become an NJRC member you can enter the POTM contest.

Phil, just goes to show you how species don't always fit their descriptions, my Nass snails climb the glass every once in a while as well. And I've seen them on my rocks, though not often. Most of the time the bury themselves in the sand.

Mynd, Nass snails are my favorite because they work so hard to get food. You might be right about them dying in a Nano because of the lack of extra food but in my 120 I have a ton of them. I love the way they come out of the sand like zombies.

NapoliNewJersey said:
A
Ice,

Welcome to NJRC ... hurry and get your camera back so you can snap some more shots and later when you're ready to become an NJRC member you can enter the POTM contest.

Thanks, happy to be here. If you have any inside sources at canon repair, feel free to have them push it along :). How much is the membership?

phil519 said:
Maybe you should name him Neo. ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's fantastic! That's his name now.

Welcome aboard. I would certainly join....you will easily save what you pay in discounts at group buys and AO.
I like diversity so your list is fine by me. Perhaps you already have a limpet or two hanging around. I found one the other night when I was playing with the flashlight. I guess he or she hitched a ride because I didn't pay for it. I think the hermits do more damage to the snails then corals but maybe mine are trained. ;) Good luck and if you have any questions ask the guys and gals here are a huge help.

JRWOHLER said:
Welcome aboard. I would certainly join....you will easily save what you pay in discounts at group buys and AO.
I like diversity so your list is fine by me. Perhaps you already have a limpet or two hanging around. I found one the other night when I was playing with the flashlight. I guess he or she hitched a ride because I didn't pay for it. I think the hermits do more damage to the snails then corals but maybe mine are trained. ;) Good luck and if you have any questions ask the guys and gals here are a huge help.

Can I please send my hermits to your place for remedial training? ;D ;) :D

phil519 said:
JRWOHLER said:

Can I please send my hermits to your place for remedial training? ;D ;) :D

lol.

Being a member is great because you can get discounts at certain stores and you have access to group buys which give you all types of discounts toward a different buy each month. The money it costs for the whole year you can make back in a single purchase with your discounts. Good luck with the tank.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

I'm going to sit tight with my current CUC until I can see if they are able to handle the algae themselves. It's still a young tank so I'm gonna let everything settle for a while before I add more.

What stores in south jersey gives discounts to members? I'm wondering if I'm near any of them.

icecool2 said:
Hey needreefunds. I didn't know you were on this forum (should have figured). The new guys are doing well. For those who don't know, I bought a fire and ice zoa frag and needreefunds threw in a little mushroom with it. I just added them to the tank today.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii236/icecool2/IMG_0059.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii236/icecool2/IMG_0063.jpg
Awesome Ice!!!

It looks like they made the trip in good shape and are settling in nicely.

Also I got my Fire and Ice colony in a trade with another NJRC member. Very cool that we are spreading the love around the state I think. Good luck and Happy Reefing.