• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to hobby/forum... could use some insight.

Hey everyone, I don't know much about salt water tanks, and the lack of money isn't going to allow me to be getting everything at once. Therefore I'd like to start buying the things I need slowly, and educating myself while working on buying the next set of items for the tank.
I would like to start off with a rimless tank. Anywhere from 30 to 60 galons, if anyone of you know where I would be able to find one, new or used, at a decent price please let me know. Also any other suggestions is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

if you pay for a club membership you will have access to the clubs classified. Right now there are 2 different guys with some great deals on equipment that is up your alley. Also you can keep an eye on craigslist too.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
if you pay for a club membership you will have access to the clubs classified. Right now there are 2 different guys with some great deals on equipment that is up your alley. Also you can keep an eye on craigslist too.

Welcome to the club! I agree the membership will pay for it self with some deals you may find. Right now theirs a 30 rimless in the deals and steals forum. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hi Dio,

Im off towards work right now, I'll post a few great links later tonight (or over the weekend) that I used to get up and running.

Its going to be a tough weekend to get many replies from the regulars. There's a huge coral and saltwater show this weekend up in the Secaucus convention center called Reefapalooza and a ton of members will be up there for the weekend. If you live in the area stop in and look around and stop by the club's booth to introduce yourself. Think its $20 to get in but you'll see what your getting into.

And welcome aboard.

Mark

horseplay

NJRC Member
The club membership is only $13.67 (or something like that) so it won't break the bank. Definitely start simple then go from there. I bought a lot of stuff I don't need. Ask the forum on your setup you will get a lot of helpful tips. I truly believe you don't need to spend a lot to have a beautiful tank. Also buying coral from the hobbyists will save you tons of $ and often times free.

A few guys here are real troopers when it comes to DIY. Some even build their own skimmers.

I'll keep that in mind, I sent in my application/money in the morning, how long does it normally take for them to accept/decline an application?

The advice I can give is to take your time and buy good equipment. If you don't, you will end up paying more in the long run when you buy the better equipment.

Go slow and enjoy the process, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Make each purchase a fun research project. Remember, we are reef nerds...:)

Does it normally take days after sending email/money for it to be approved?

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Does it normally take days after sending email/money for it to be approved?

Sorry about that we've been a little preoccupied. Welcome to the club you have all the rights and privileges of a member in good standing. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sorry about that we've been a little preoccupied. Welcome to the club you have all the rights and privileges of a member in good standing. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
I appreciate it, and sorry about anything, wasn't sure if application would be accepted the way it was submitted since I had to take a screen shot. In any case thanks, and good luck at the show.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you can, try to make it to RAP. It will be worth the trip. You can gain a ton of info, meet locals, and enter raffles to win some stuff.

Hi Dio,

Im off towards work right now, I'll post a few great links later tonight (or over the weekend) that I used to get up and running.

Its going to be a tough weekend to get many replies from the regulars. There's a huge coral and saltwater show this weekend up in the Secaucus convention center called Reefapalooza and a ton of members will be up there for the weekend. If you live in the area stop in and look around and stop by the club's booth to introduce yourself. Think its $20 to get in but you'll see what your getting into.

And welcome aboard.

Mark

I appreciate it Mark, I couldn't make it to Reefa this year, maybe next time. =( . However I have spent a lot of time online trying to find something comparable to what some of the people in this forum have found before, and i haven't been that lucky. Honestly the cheapest thing I found was a Deep Blue 57G R.R. at $310. (just the tank). I don't think that price is bad, but i cant help but think that it is still a bit pricey. Anyways, back to searching, I appreciate everyone's input.

ps. Is Starphire worth the extra $?

I appreciate it Mark, I couldn't make it to Reefa this year, maybe next time. =( . However I have spent a lot of time online trying to find something comparable to what some of the people in this forum have found before, and i haven't been that lucky. Honestly the cheapest thing I found was a Deep Blue 57G R.R. at $310. (just the tank). I don't think that price is bad, but i cant help but think that it is still a bit pricey. Anyways, back to searching, I appreciate everyone's input.

ps. Is Starphire worth the extra $?

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I have a 90 gallon reef ready used tank I can let go cheap since you are a member just starting. How does $75 sound?

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I have a 90 gallon reef ready used tank I can let go cheap since you are a member just starting. How does $75 sound?

I was looking for a rimless, reef ready of about 50G. However I think I might give up on the rimless idea, everything is a bit pricey, and given that I'm just starting out, i think the extra money could be spent elsewhere. I was thinking of maybe going with a regular tank, purchasing equipment for it, but keeping in mind i might move it over to a rimless in the future. What do u think?

$75 for a 90g, id say u might be losing money on that trade Mark.

382.jpg383.jpg384.jpg385.jpg386.jpg387.jpg
I was looking for a rimless, reef ready of about 50G. However I think I might give up on the rimless idea, everything is a bit pricey, and given that I'm just starting out, i think the extra money could be spent elsewhere. I was thinking of maybe going with a regular tank, purchasing equipment for it, but keeping in mind i might move it over to a rimless in the future. What do u think?

$75 for a 90g, id say u might be losing money on that trade Mark.

No loss at all, I sold the stand and recouped a few extra, so just looking to make a couple bucks and help someone out as well. I have it listed for $130, but its yours for $75

No loss at all, I sold the stand and recouped a few extra, so just looking to make a couple bucks and help someone out as well. I have it listed for $130, but its yours for $75
Hey Mark, do u happen to have pics? And if possible dimentions? The user tgee is selling a tank like I wanted at a decent price however it's a 24x24x24 and it won't fit in my sedan, and being that your tank is even bigger I think I might have the same problem.