• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Problem with MH Ballast

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have an old ARO MH ballast. I really have no idea of the age, I bought it used and I've had it for 4 years now.

Here's the problem. It's on one day, and off the next. I switched the plug to another ballast and the problem followed the ballast. All the wiring is in good condition as are the connections.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? It's driving me nuts!

If you are brave and have some electronic savy you could take it apart. I would guess that the transformer might be dying or a capacitor could be going.

Legal Disclaimer: If you don't know what you are doing and you take it apart don't touch anything. The capacitors can store up a lot of charge and will instantly discharge.(basically the same things in defibrillators)

Look for something that looks like a battery standing on end. If you see anything like that and the top is popped up or it is oozing, the capacitor is probably going/gone. They can be replaced by anyone with basic electronic soldering skills. Also they do have a polarity, so they have to be put in the right way. If the transformer is going, they are usually a little more work and might be cost prohibitive to replace.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We switched out the blablahanator in a MH ballast. It wasn't all that hard and not hard to find one. There was a place north of where you are that sells them. It didn't even need to be soldered on. I'd take it apart and look at it.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's a 250 watt.

Maybe this week I'll take it apart and see whats going on inside. I did replace the capacitor in a magnetic PFO ballast once, so maybe this will be similar.