• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPAM!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Is there something we can do about all the spam we're getting. It seems like it's gotten a whole lot worse. Can we use captcha, or ask the question, "Are you a Robot," or have a couple day waiting period after signing up before you can make your first post. There's got to be something.
I've tried everything I know how to. I will say what has been done has helped. In the morning the first thing I try to do is delete what I can. In this screen shot you can see a number in a red square top left, that's how many members have been blocked by a spam stopper we had installed about 5-6 months ago
IMG_1851.PNG

As far as captcha goes we currently have 2 questions in place. I'm not sure what more can be done. If anyone knows I'm all ears. It's extremely annoying and not how I like to start the first 15 minutes of my day lol.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
spam is always hard to fight. It like trying to fight viruses. AV software (and spam blockers) are always playing catch up as spammers (and viruses writers) work on new ways to do their tricks. I agree lately it does seem to be high number of spam. I'm not sure but maybe a verification step might be helpful (if the system allows). What this would do is a email will be sent to the signer up email to verified their account before they can log in. Again not sure if our system supports that but it might be something wroth looking into

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
ha never mind I am looking in the settings now and we already have that they need to confirm email link before registration is complete

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
That might be an option but also could deter real users away from our site. Also I see we can force new users to use two form auth (which is either email code or an app like Google Auth). Again it might help with spam but could deter users away. Another thing I thought was we are NJ base so we might be able to block all non-NJ IPs but then we have vendors and out of state folks on here which would hurt them.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Some days I'm quicker than others lol. In the backend you can look at the "spam cleaner" and see what has been deleted and when. Most seems to come in between 12-1 am and then 3-5 am.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Is there a way to manually enter links to be blocked?
I know its time consuming and a PITA but ones that keep getting thru Spam Blocker could be listed.

The Pres is clearly doing the work, though it would be great to get to a point where that wasn't necessary for the site (to delete like that). Can say from a noob perspective that seeing the spam is a detractor when looking for cool info posts. Kind of like... Okay, never mind. That said, I know tech is expensive and I'm not a tech guy. Wish I could help.