• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stale gasoline...how do you get rid of it in NJ?

Was wondering as I have some left over gasoline from last season and I want to toss it. Do I bring it to like jiffylube or suburban automall or pepboys...do they take it????

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm assuming you're talking about a gallon or two that you use to mow your lawn. Easy to get rid of....with 3/4 of a tank or so in your car, dump it into your car....gone. With time, gasoline looses light volatiles. It’s a problem with starting small engines…like your mower. By putting it into you car….with an almost full tank…the dilution is so great, it doesn’t effect anything. Have been doing it for years.

If you don't like this idea, I'll be over tomorrow and you can put it in my car. :D

I'm assuming you're talking about a gallon or two that you use to mow your lawn. Easy to get rid of....with 3/4 of a tank or so in your car, dump it into your car....gone. With time, gasoline looses light volatiles. It’s a problem with starting small engines…like your mower. By putting it into you car….with an almost full tank…the dilution is so great, it doesn’t effect anything. Have been doing it for years.

Yes it is for the mower and never thought of that...thanks for the fast response!

But I have another one. For the snowblower it requires a mixture of oil and gasoline....so that other container also needs to be disposed...suggestions?

don't dump it in your car! I did this once and I blew out my honda civic fuel pump!!!

I guess if you have an older car it is fine, but my 2001 (did it in 2010) did not like it at all. The gas was maybe a year, year and 1/2 old..

Officially, I think you need to dispose of it at a hazardous waste center.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
But I have another one. For the snowblower it requires a mixture of oil and gasoline....so that other container also needs to be disposed...suggestions?
Put it in your car for smokescreen affect! Isn't that what James Bond uses? LOL, Just kidding

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hawk I had the same issue with a container that I had for my generator that I never used after I bought it. I took it to a gas station and they disposed of it properly.

Well I spoke to my local recyling area and they said it's considered HazMat and that the next date was May 19th in New Brunswick/Apple Orchard Road by the jail (didn't know there was one). I was given this phone # to call for further info 732. 745.4170.

This would be for middlesex county residents...

Hey Phil... I def wouldnt put the old gas in your car nm the premix... I work for the state and a lot of townships offer collection at the towns recycling center... They typically have a large container with a huge funnel on top and you just pour it on in... Instead of calling the county give a couple local townships a call you will probably have better luck.. If all else fails take a ride over this way i'll get rid of it for ya.... well swap some frags or something