• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Standby Generators

Sometime this year we are going to get a natural gas generator that kicks in automatically.
Not cheap but they run till the electricity comes on and you don't have to go fill up gas or whatever. Your life really isn't interupted. There was a thread about them say 6 months ago. Guy was supposed to get me the name of an installer, in any case, this is the one that I was told would work for my house.
1500 sq ft. High efficiency GAS heat.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_174936-24212-0055340_1004_?productId=1154629&Ntt=generators&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_$2000%2Bor%2Bless_1004__s?Ntk=i_products$Ntt=generators

Made in Wisconsin I think. Good name and reputation. GE also makes a similar size one.

I did some research ... it is a good unit. Like I said my house is pretty efficient and is all gas appliances so I don't have much electricity besides tank, fridge, computer, and lights.
If you have some other serious draw you will need to step up to a bigger unit.
They install them by bringing in a slab putting the unit on the slab and hooking it up. Not exactly sure of the cost 500-1000?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Been reading good things about it but what you are saying about how much draw and size of unit depends on what you can live without in a blackout..most of my stuff is gas apart from the water heater but that was new when i got the house and will be gas when i need a new one.. lights i can live without plus wife likes the candles anyway TV also.. {good time to have quality family time}.. I guess the only things i would need it for would be Tank,Fridge, water heater maybe a light or two when needed and maybe one or two window AC's bedroom and tank room and that's about it

JRWOHLER said:
I did some research ... it is a good unit. Like I said my house is pretty efficient and is all gas appliances so I don't have much electricity besides tank, fridge, computer, and lights.
If you have some other serious draw you will need to step up to a bigger unit.
They install them by bringing in a slab putting the unit on the slab and hooking it up. Not exactly sure of the cost 500-1000?

so it'd be the cost of the generator ($2000) plus installation?

Yes, Generac actually has installers qualified to do it. Don't remember who was going to give me the guys name, was going to ask him for a discount if I could get a few of us. Sid is basically right, the key is cutting out as much as possible that you don't need. Spoke with a rep from HD, they had the same model under a slightly different Generac model name. In any case he said that one would run everything in my house, again gas hot water heater, and super efficient funace...probably wouldn't run AC. So hope to do it before winter hits.