• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

VODKA dosing regimen- notes.

I'm adding this thread here since even though Vodka dosing may not be considered advanced, it is to me. I will be documenting this thread with a pictorial, and posting along the way with my progress and or hinderances, my method to my madness of "unorthodoxness" and hopefully those who contribute and read can learn and share practices. (I am hoping for a 90 day regimen since that would be a considerable time frame to achieve some kind of measurable difference.)

I know there are a few vodka dosers out there in the club, and having your input should hopefully guide my directions and others interested in the process.

First, a few things about the system:

It's been up and running since January 2006, just the way pretty much looks now. Most of the liverock is from an established system of over 4-5 years, and is mixed with some DIY aggregate-cement rock to create the structure. If I am to guesstimate, I probably have less than 80 lbs of Liverock in my 90'ish gallon main system. Probably only half that weight (not volume) is from the actual "Liverock". The tank is 60X20X20 and the sump is about 15 gallons full, made by RichT.

I've never really had a hair algae problem until earlier this year due to lack of maintenance, a "bad" batch of salt, dying/dead clams, lack of maintenance, a wipeout of snails (from pyramidellid snails that killed the clams), lack of maintenance and oh yeah, lack of maintenance. Get the point? By no means does this thread admonish the procrastination of any aquarist, but rather to remind us that there are many ways things can be rectified, and I chose this path since it has always been something I was interested in. So it is being documented as close as I possibly can.

Now here's a forewarning: Please do not try this yourself until you feel comfortable enough in your eyes. I have been reading so much stuff the past few weeks, and I just decided to make the jump last week after a massive water change. Algae tufts are still growing however, and hopefully a recession will be in place (soon).

In my opinion, good coral health, fish health and great polyp extension are all signs of good water quality. Good meaning- 'liveable', not aesthetically pleasing in our eyes. Reefs have an abundance of algae, but it is constantly mowed down in the wild. In our tanks, it has become a "nuisance" because it does not have visual appeal, which is why I'm ripping it out :).

I no longer test my water. I do not test for phosphates since they always show up really faint in color which I make up numbers for to make myself feel better, or sometimes is colorless. No detectable nitrates have ever shown in my tank with 2 different test kits, and I know I have no nitrates since my chaeto in my sump NEVER grows. It just sits there, tumbling around. I vacuum the tank, the only detritus is the ones that collect all the way in the back of the tank where the hose can't reach. I feed heavy, but there never was a Hair algae bloom until earlier this year, around Feb or so.... basically, the only difference is the water changes. I have been doing huge water changes since July, and it just did not make an impact (but I still have to switch salts). I have everything that your "basic reefkeeper" has, I just don't test. . . . Well, with much less rambling, here it goes:

The tank, October 7, 2008.

The coral pictures preceding in this thread will NOT be edited and will be posted for comparison purposes.

FULL TANK SHOT.

DSC_3643.jpg

This is approximately after 6 days of a completely sterile looking tank. Everything was scrubbed down and probably close to 2/3 gallon of hair algae removed. The front glass hazes everyday, but I wipe it down every 2 days. The rocks now have a light coat of brown film algae on it which is normal for a "re-cycling" tank. The corals browned out a bit, but I have always blamed that on the 6500 K Iwasakis. In November, I am actually replacing them with 12 or 14K's just because I've never gone that route before.

Dosage Tracking:
I created a spreadsheet based on formulations from the last issue of RK mag. What a convenience since I also estimate my tank to be at 100 net gallons of water (could be a teeny tad less). I used the regimen they already had, but I needed it to "look" official:

vodka.jpg

Coral pictures- the initial phase.

I only started taking pictures tonight after the first dose yesterday. The pictures will be based on 7 coral colonies which are non-movable within the tank, and to be able to take consistent same-angle pictures, I decided to utilize a permanent marker and draw a template on my starfire glass (am i gonna regret that?). The pictures will be taken hopefully on a weekly basis and updated. They can then be checked in the end for a side by side comparison for color, growth, polyp extension, etc.

The camera- Nikon D200
Lens- 60 mm macro
Setting- M
Shutter- 125
F stop- 3.2
Flash- NO
White Balance- Auto
Focal point- 4 axis, NSWE

How it looks like:

DSC_3644.jpg

DSC_3645.jpg

DSC_3646.jpg

Coral pics

C1
DSC_3636.jpg

C2
DSC_3637.jpg

C3
DSC_3638.jpg

C4
DSC_3639.jpg

C5
DSC_3640.jpg

C6
DSC_3641.jpg

C7
DSC_3642.jpg

October 7- (Day 1) 0.4 mL
No major strands of hair algae, Corals brown and stressed from breakdown last week, Skimmate on deltec at approximately 3/4 cup, but has not been emptied for 5 days. Skimmer neck very dirty from particulates from transfer and new salt just premixed. Salinity measured at 1.026 refractometer. Cleaned out skimmer.

October 8 (Day 2) 0.4 mL
Rocks have brown film on them. Snails are mowing down what film they can get, leaving but the right apex of rock untouched. Will introduce snails on rock to "populate." Completely cleaned glass from haze again. This time all the way to the bottom and sides of tank. Skimmer is extremely frothy after last night's thorough scrub down. Full open gate valve, 2 o'clock venturi orientation, halfway neckline on deltec overflow valve, only about 1/5 cup of skimmate, left it in the 2 liter collection bottle.

OCT 8
DSC_3634.jpg

Here's a fun pic of the blenny I took a picture of:
blenny-did-it.jpg

and the blenny doing his mowing before I wiped down the glass tonight:

MUNCH
blenny.jpg

MUNCH MUNCH
blenny2.jpg

MUNCH BITE MUNCH
blenny1.jpg

MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH
blenny3.jpg

Great job on documentation. I am tagging along because I recently started dosing on my 300. I am only doing 1ML per day because I don't want the vodka to be the sole remover of nitrates. I want my sulfur denitrator to do a piece and my chaeto to do another piece. When I started this process a week ago my nitrates were in the 40 range. I plan to stick with the 1ML for a few months to see if it does anything. Good luck to you.

Very good documentation concept3. I will also be tagging along. As I would like to start doing this on my setup as well. I think the blenny is just licking the vodka off the glass ;)

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Quote:
Now here's a forewarning: Please do not try this yourself until you feel comfortable enough in your eyes. I have been reading so much stuff the past few weeks, and I just decided to make the jump last week after a massive water change. Algae tufts are still growing however, and hopefully a recession will be in place (soon).

Put Bush in charge of maintenance! ;)

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Merv, great documentation. Love the photos of the blenny. He's such a ham.

great documentation, really looking forward to watching this thread as I am seriously looking into vodka dosing in my 180

Very nice Merv.. I just hope people dont just jump on this without really knowing the whole concept of Vodka / VSV.. I myself is doing identical to this but using Brightwells product . I started on 8/15 and sometime the end of the month after swap I will create a thread about it as well as I have everything in documentation. I feel 3 months of using this product I can atleast see a difference on my tank... Goodluck merv!

ricwilli said:
Very good documentation concept3. I will also be tagging along. As I would like to start doing this on my setup as well. I think the blenny is just licking the vodka off the glass ;)

That blenny is clearly hammered.

Great job, Merv.

I always love your pictures and commentary.

I'm starting my own project, I will be dosing myself with Vodka and posting pictures of my growth. ::)

Sugar dosing, Vinegar dosing and Vodka dosing all use the same principle as the addition of some kind of pure Carbon addition. I preferred to use Vodka since I am able to be consistent with it with a syringe instead of weighing the sugar or eyeballing a teaspoon etc.

I tried using Sugar in the Raw last week, but the tangs and anthia ate it before it had the chance to incorporate into the water column. Hence the vodka, plus I need sugar for my coffee. It's mine, all mine!

concept3 said:
Sugar dosing, Vinegar dosing and Vodka dosing all use the same principle as the addition of some kind of pure Carbon addition. I preferred to use Vodka since I am able to be consistent with it with a syringe instead of weighing the sugar or eyeballing a teaspoon etc.

I tried using Sugar in the Raw last week, but the tangs and anthia ate it before it had the chance to incorporate into the water column. Hence the vodka, plus I need sugar for my coffee. It's mine, all mine!

I prefer vodka in my coffee ;)

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread Merv, but I started dosing the same day you did. I read the same article in Reefkeeping Mag. and I'm doing my dosing with 80 proof vodka and 100g net. I'm using a Hanna photometer with an acurracy of +/- 0.04 to check PO4

When I started, the PO4 was 0.10. After the 3rd day of dosing, PO4 dropped to 0.07. This morning, which is day 5, I tested again and it's 0.03. Now according the atricle, it says after day 3, you should double your dosage. When you start to see a decrease in PO4, you maintain that dosage until levels are not detectable. My problem is I never got to doubling the dosage because I started seeing a reduction after day 3. Most people don't see a drop until week 3 ???. So I'm not going to double the dose, I'm maintaining 0.4ml for now.

no prob mike, your input should greatly benefit this thread as well. I just checked my Cheapo Vodka brand and it is also 80 proof, 40% (you had me scared there for a sec, lol. I thought Cheapo Vodka also meant less proofage)

Yesterday, I noticed that my skimmer is working a little better than normal. I used to only accumulate an average of 1.5 cups a week if I was lucky, even with feeding heavily, but as of the vodka dosing, it seems to pull out about 1/2 cup a day; it's still a little premature to assume this at this point, however.

I don't have a photometer to back up reduction of PO4 (or NO3), but I am already noticing a slight change in water clarity, not that it was colored that much to begin with. (Never changed the carbon which is still in the Phosban reactor). Who knows, maybe the clarity stems from the lack of algae by-products that I had since last week and the massive water change. I think about it now, I should have left a control Hair algae ridden rock in the tank to see if that changed after the dosing, but I was also afraid of the reintroduction of algae spores to the freshly scrubbed ones.

I'll be updating the DAY 3 results later tonight after I come back from fishing. There's so much fluke in the jetty I fish on (which is out of season anyways), WHERE are the STRIPERS?!?!?

FYI
At the Atlanta MACNA last month, one of the conferences on advanced chemistry by Dr.Tom Wyatt explained why vodka should NOT be used in reef tanks. He went on to explain how the vodka is broken down into glucose and how sugars are negative for reef keeping especially for SPS growth. The chemical reactions were way too advanced for me to remember.

thanks Renee- I'll research that as well to be versed in long term deleterious effects of glucose in a reef environment. With regular bi monthly 5-10% water changes, however, I am curious to see if the removal of 'excess' sugar compounds via water changes will offset that. Heavy skimming is a MUST for this type of experiment, and that, coupled with water changes (will hopefully) reduce the impact of compounds harmful to the tank. I am documenting everything as much as possible as a 'guinea pig' and the plug is ready to be pulled at anytime if the effects get worse. I always have 40 gallons of water on hand now, and about 5 cups of activated carbon in a tightly sealed bag.

(Note as FYI to all- Since ethanol is broken down into several organic compounds, and then being utilized by 'supposed' bacteria and then waste, skimming allows the ability for those molecules to be taken out of the water column via hydrophilic fractionation; hence the need for a very good skimmer)