• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Who here has experience using interceptor - No not for red bugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Folks

I need some insights from the ones who have used interceptor in the past. For almost 18 months now I am fighting a losing battle with a very smart gorilla crab. All my efforts to catch him have been in vain. I have tried every trick but I was unsuccessful to say the least.

Now I am very desperate as he has started catching fish (wrasses and anthias) that live in rocks. This b****rd has to die.

I have read that interceptor kills crabs and I am willing to give it a shot.

What I need to know is :-

Are snails affected also? --- I have many turbo snails that have been with me for years and I do not want them to die.
Are shrimps an issue? --- I have 3 and they have been with me for 3 years or more.

I do not need to hit the whole system. I know he is in DT and so I only want to treat DT.

How much do I need? How long of a treatment is needed? Will it definately kill the crab?

And then, I need to find interceptor. If you have one let me know.

TIA

Sunny :(

Currently interceptor is no longer available. It has the sole active ingredient of milbemycin . Novartis the manufacturer has returned the product to the market as Sentinel. This not only has the milbemycin but also lufenuron a product the inhibits chiton synthesis. Chiton is the stuff that makes the exoskelleton of crabs, shrimp, lobster, fleas, most arthropods. Not sure how it would react nor how to clear it once introduced.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you find interceptor here is your issue: I have known people who dose it in their tank in low doses so keep red bugs away but small enough that it does not effect other inverts. You would need a pretty strong dose to kill a gorilla crab, and that will probably kill your other inverts you mentioned (especially the shrimp).

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
If you find interceptor here is your issue: I have known people who dose it in their tank in low doses so keep red bugs away but small enough that it does not effect other inverts. You would need a pretty strong dose to kill a gorilla crab, and that will probably kill your other inverts you mentioned (especially the shrimp).

Shrimps I can take out. When I put the trap for the crab the first ones to go in there were shrimps. They are easy.
What about snails? I have many types including conches and leopard nassuris.

I have as you know treated twice for redbugs. Snails, stomatellas, and stars will make it just fine at least that was my experience. I never removed any and all lived. I have read of experiences where larger shrimp have made it through. I would think that would hold true for crabs also. Though it might just be stunned enough to grab him out of the hole he is in.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You will probably lose any invert in the system, including pods mini brittles and all the other fun stuff. You can start pulling now and hopefully get everything out before you dose. At the levels you will need to dose, it will probably kill all the inverts in your system.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
That is not encouraging at all :(. I cannot kill my snails. Some of them are now baseball size turbos.

I guess I need to put a price on his head. I don't know what else to do.

I have never read about interceptor killing snails and all my mini brittles as well as all my full size stars went unaffected.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Prazi will kill gorilla crabs....

You know something, knowledge is a virtue. It is a shame of knowledge if it is not shared. What I said about prazi I stand by it.

You still prove a point that you will never stop mocking fellow reefers.

You have been in this hobby for so long. You should help this community and share your experience rather that make fun of others experiences.

Mods I am sorry I started this thread. Please close it.

Oh but he is still a mod, or was he?

I will never ask or give advice here again.

Sunny

Sunny

Status
Not open for further replies.