• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120 Tank Build Thread - Lots Of Pictures

ReeferBobRW

NJRC Member
Hi all, I joined NJRC about a year ago but I'm a long time lurker. I met a few other NJ reefers recently at MACNA XX (last day oops, oh and thanks for the jello shots)Great speech at the dinner. I hope to meet more of you at this years frag swap. I can also host a meeting for us north Jersey people if anyone is interested.

I presently have a 30g tank setup for about 2 years. My new tank is Oceanic RR 120g 4x2x2 that i purchased used. It came with a free turboflotor skimmer. The rock is all Marco Rock, I cured for 2+ months and the sand was given to me by a guy who took down a shark pool. The lighting is a Giesemann ECO with 2 150HQI. The sump is a homemade 40g breeder with a built in water change system, I hope it works when I complete it.

Presently the tank only has a few starter corals, hermits and snails. I'm hoping to set it up as a SPS mixed tank. The tank has been setup for about 2 months. It never had a cycle but it is now going through it's algae blooms. Fish will soon be coming but I'm going real slow with this tank.

Enjoy!!

-Bob

Tank finally in the house
P4040012.jpg

Some of the Marco Rock
P4170164.jpg

and rock curing
P6070470.jpg

Sump with baffles installed, notice the fancy Turboflotor
P4040018.jpg

Drilling the sump for water change system
P6290677.jpg

Bulkheads installed
P6290688.jpg

Sump with plumbing for water change system
P7190941.jpg

Dorso's built
P4120141.jpg

P7290994.jpg

plumbing for water change system, RODI top off and wiring for water change pump. The plumbing goes through the wall and into my crawlspace where the rest of the water change plumbing is. Hope this thing eventually works as i envisioned it.
P5300462.jpg

Sump in place. I had to remove the center brace to fit the tank under the stand.
P8020998.jpg

P8031000.jpg

Finally!! Water and just add salt
P8031002.jpg

P8031003.jpg

Rock added, think this light is sufficient
P8091012.jpg

P8091026.jpg

P8091031.jpg

P8091035.jpg

And the final product
P8121077.jpg

P8121076.jpg

P8121085.jpg

P8120001.jpg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Bob, welcome to NJRC! We're glad you left the shadows and came out posting ;D Great pics and great setup. It looks like you're off to really good start. Gotta love that Marco rock. There's just nothing like it.

I'm glad you were able to get in on the jello shots in Atlanta! And thanks for the props on the dinner speech (I just stopped trembling from that!)

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Hi Bob,
Welcome to NJRC!! I almost did my lights over my new tank the way you did. We have the sloped ceiling also. But we ended up putting up ledgers and brackets and hanging them from that.

Once you start getting coraline algae on that Marco rock it won't look so white. ;D

Look forward to meeting you at some upcoming meetings.

Erna

Another great 120 tale to tag along with!

The dj panel - did you screw that into the top or front of the stand? I was going to do the same thing but wasn't sure how best to secure it.

ReeferBobRW

NJRC Member
For the DJ switch I cut 2- 3x4 inch rectangles out of 3/4 inch wood I had laying around. I screwed them from the inside of the stand to the front with 1 1/4 inch wood/sheet rock screws. I then used a 4 large head (slightly bigger than the holes on the switch) 1 inch flat head screws to put in the holes in the front of the switch. I did drill small pilot holes on everything to avoid splitting the wood when I put the screws in. I have just the 4 front screws holding it up and it's very sturdy. I also used my cordless drill to make things easier.

Welcome and nice looking tank. The more I see marcorock the more I like it.

But I did lol at the tv compared to the tank.