• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

14g Biocube questions

Hey everyone in tale of the tank I began charting my progress in the hobby. I have a few questions that I feel members would be able to answer.

The tank right now has 14 pounds of live rock, a oceanic biocube protein skimmer, switched the filters and added a heater. The fish that is in there right now is a false percula clown. The tank was running for about a month prior to adding the fish, and I did about a 20% water change after the first 2 weeks and will be doing one soon.

1. Which way should I face the jet that comes from the third chamber? at the moment it is angled towards the middle front of the glass.

2. As far as cleaners what should I be looking to add as far as turbo snails, emerald crab, shrimp etc.?

3. Should I add an anemone for the clown?

4. Where do you recommend purchasing some fish, coral, and other livestock from? I am located in North New Jersey, in the Caldwell area.

I appreciate everyone's help and look forward to being in the hobby for many years.

Thanks,

Brandon

i have the same tank
1. i have mine facing strait out, actually towards the glass. i find it helps the flow on the bottom
2. i have 5 snails, mostly astrea and 1 turbo. i also have 5 hermets. i dont have any regular crabs though
3. i dont think the stock lighting is good enough for an anemone. i did the lighting upgrade, and i doubt it is enough. also anemones need really established tanks, 6 months cured or longer
4. not sure where n. caldwell is, but i have been getting my stuff at ocean galleries 2 in n. plainfield.

as far as water changes, i do 2 gallons per week to keep the nitrates down, but i dont have a skimmer. also, in my signature is a list of my cube upgrades, the intank media tray is one i would recommend the most, but if you are using the bioballs, you wouldnt be able to get it without removing the bioballs. if your tank was cycled with them you would need to removed them slowly, maybe over a couple of months.

any pics?

also, i put this together about clowns, and there is some info about anemones and clowns.

and when i said i had mine towards the glass, i meant kind of strait out but hitting the side glass to help redirect flow

Thanks for the reply, I was also wondering what times I should cycle the lights.

Right now I am doing 12 noon - 1 pm the blue light then 1 - 9 pm the blue and white together then 9 - 10 blue 10pm off

so it goes

blue: 12-10 pm

white 1 - 9 pm

Another concern I had is should the fans be operating when the white light is switched on or when the blue light is switched on?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
For PC bulbs it is really better to have the fan running when either bulb is on. I don't think you will have enough light for an anem with simple PC bulbs. Did you pull everything out of the back of the chambers? Those bio balls and ceramic things are worthless and become detritus traps which will keep your nitrates high.

Cleanup Crew: small snails and maybe a few hermits on your taste, just realize they will eat your snails at some point. I would not add any emerald or other crabs.

I like OGII, but would also recommend Aquatic Obsessions you can find their info in the sponsors area. Red Sand is another sponsor right up there.

with the stock hood, i dont think you can control the fans through the blue lights. i am fairly sure they are powered by the white light.

i think your times are good. you are doing the twilight hours which is great. i only have my lights on for 7 or 8 hours per day because i dont have timers yet. once i do, i will be doing 9 to 10 hours for my corals to get the most light

Lights are good, you could switch the bulbs right? So the fan comes on with the blue light all day?

You could add one emerald crab, I have not had problems with them some have some not.
I guess I feed plenty so they don't go looking for food where they shouldn't.

Snails are always good and don't do any damage.

AO has some nice nano fish, I will mention again, and other two stores OGII and Red Sand are good supporters of our club too.

You might want to get a small power head for inside the tank itself. I like the Koralia power heads but there are some good ones you might want to look into.

mnat said:
For PC bulbs it is really better to have the fan running when either bulb is on. Did you pull everything out of the back of the chambers? Those bio balls and ceramic things are worthless and become detritus traps which will keep your nitrates high.

Cleanup Crew: small snails and maybe a few hermits on your taste, just realize they will eat your snails at some point. I would not add any emerald or other crabs.

The PC Bulb you mean White light bulbs? Right now when the white light is on the fans are running.

As far as removing the bio balls how would you recommend going about doing that? I heard you have to remove them slowly, but if i remove them as I do what do I put in their place?

I wasn't planning on doing hermits, maybe a cleaner shrimp snails, and emerald crab if thats acceptable/able to

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If the tank really hasn't been setup that long, you should not have any problem taking them out. It is always good to do anything in your tank slowly anyway.

PC bulbs are just the bulbs you have, I think running the fan when bulbs are on is always a good idea, will lengthen the life of your equipment.

I would just be careful with emerald crabs, they can become bored and decide to eat, attack things you like. If you have bubble algae get one, if not I would not do so.

mnat said:
If the tank really hasn't been setup that long, you should not have any problem taking them out. It is always good to do anything in your tank slowly anyway.

PC bulbs are just the bulbs you have, I think running the fan when bulbs are on is always a good idea, will lengthen the life of your equipment.

I would just be careful with emerald crabs, they can become bored and decide to eat, attack things you like. If you have bubble algae get one, if not I would not do so.

I tried to remove that second chamber false floor to access the bioballs and havn't been able to prior. Is there some trick to it or something?

Here are some pictures of the tank

Pictures as requested

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

So today I went to buy the koralia nano, while there all my water levels were at great levels!

So since my levels seem good I asked what kind of corals I could do or would be good for a tank such as mine.

I bought a purple hammer and a blue mushroom. I will post pictures soon of them.

I have one concern my clown seems to be having difficulty swimming in the increased circulation. As it stands I have the stock head poiting towards teh front glass, then then nano kind of going across the tank since it is difficult to aim the jet on a right angle as I want it.

Anyone with a cube and can post a picture of how they have theirs or any advice I'd appreciate it.

Treo360 said:
you ever get the bioballs out? Are you going to run a skimmer or convert the 2nd chamber into a fugue?

I took out about 10 bioballs and replaced it with a bag of carbon. I'm running the oceanic biocube skimmer.

I actually bought a 135 gallon oceanic tank I'm going to be upgrading to and might sell this or keep it as QT.

Right now my tank seems to have some algae on the glass and mysteriously my snails seem to be dying.

Would a red leg hermit eat snails? I thought it was my blue one so I took it out and yet still see white small stick looking things (snail body?)

After my experience with the biocube, it isn't the best, but it is pretty good. It helped me get my feet wet and learn so when I do go bigger I know some stuff (not all), but some.

I haven't had any problems with my Scarlets, but I have read that they can and will eat snails. How are your Nitrates? Copper an issue?

Treo360 said:
I haven't had any problems with my Scarlets, but I have read that they can and will eat snails. How are your Nitrates? Copper an issue?

Nitrates and Nitrites according to my test kit are 0ppm.

Copper shouldn't be an issue as it has never been put in this tank.