• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

14K or 20K HQI Bulb in 28g JBJ Nano

I have to replace my HQI bulb, and I think the original one was 150W/14K, though I heard that the 20K bulb would make the corals pop due to the increase blue spectrum, but could potentially slow growth, possibly bleach corals. (Tank Depth is roughly 19")

So the options are:
1. Get the 14K replacement and call it a day ($40)
2. Get the 20K bulb ($58)
3. Get the 14K replacement ($40), and add the 2.18 actinic PC retro kit from nanocustoms ($69.95)
(If option 3, I get a choice of bulbs for each of the 2 units. (10k/actinic or full actinic). So I can do two actinics, two 50/50, or 1 of each.)

* New Option * LED:
I have no idea of difficulty or cost on this (I see there is another post on the forum about this and will watch it closely.) Looks to be a great deal of benefit: http://www.aquaristsonline.com/blog/aquarium-equipment/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-led-lighting-a-major-advance-or-is-metal-halide-still-the-light-of-choice/

Have some SPS, but have a lobo, palys, zoos, chalices, acans.

What do you guys think? I have a blue digi that looks brown in the 14k, and was hoping to improve colors. Also heard something about UV concerns with 20K, not the case with LED, any feedback on that is appreciated.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have the pheonix 14k bulb in my 30 g and like it a lot. Granted I have a 250 watt pendant, but I am sure the colors are the similiar. I would keep the 14k and if you wanted to supplement, add bulbs.

I may do the 14, with the 2 actinics supplemented. Does anyone know how the addition of bulbs works?
Do I run the HQI for 4 hours and put the actinics on at either ende (dawn/dusk) for 6 -7 hours of light. Or does the HQI and actinics run together? (seems like too much light, but let me know.)

You can have the actinics come on first and go off last like a sunrise sunset type of thing. Example: 2 hr actinic 6 hr halide 2 hr actinic