• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2 Firefish better than 1?

I just got a fire fish for my 40 breeder. I really like this fish. I was looking for a few opinions about the idea of getting a second one.

Yes 2 is better then one they are known to school I've seen then in schools as big as six. They feel safer in groups and will apend,more time,in,the water collum in groups rather then,solo

Thanks. I’m not too heavily stocked. Don’t intend to add many more fish. In the LFS when I picked it up, they seemed to be schooling. I’ll go pick up another one of these days.

Thanks. I’m not too heavily stocked. Don’t intend to add many more fish. In the LFS when I picked it up, they seemed to be schooling. I’ll go pick up another one of these days.
They find comfort in,numbers so they should be happy idk if you could mix types though like purple and standard

I think the standard firefish is a wonderful addition and a beautiful fish. I had one that stayed in a burrow I had built for my jawfish. They do like boltholes/places to hide for sleep. If you have one already the second will probably just sleep in that same spot.

I bought two and the one bullied the other. Apparently they do school in the wild but get territorial in a tank. The bully then decided to attack my clownfish and broke it's jaw...disappearing in the tank. The bullied one then came out but it started attacking the clownfish too and broke it's jaw! Found it under a rock before it died.
I had a firefish before in a peaceful tank with no problems so wonder if I got only the one if it would have been okay.
Thought I researched it enough and asked at ACC when buying. So frustrating.
Afraid to try again

I just stuck with the one. It want carpet surfing. My tank Is pretty well covered, but it somehow managed to jump. There is only a 1 inch gap on each side that is not covered. I was away for 2 weeks when it happened. My wife said she found it on the floor. I will get another one some day.

Firefish was my first fish and is just beautiful. My daughter’s favorite fish all along, even after she chose the clownfish and royal gramma. Somehow survived a velvet outbreak that killed nearly all the other fish. I’ve aleays read its best to keep one as they will bully each other unless it’s a large tank, but they are peaceful and serene. The other color variations are nice but the original red and white with iridescent blue highlights on the spine and eyes is just gorgeous.

I just stuck with the one. It want carpet surfing. My tank Is pretty well covered, but it somehow managed to jump. There is only a 1 inch gap on each side that is not covered. I was away for 2 weeks when it happened. My wife said she found it on the floor. I will get another one some day.
Yeah, my first firefish in original tank committed suicide too

Firefish was my first fish and is just beautiful. My daughter’s favorite fish all along, even after she chose the clownfish and royal gramma. Somehow survived a velvet outbreak that killed nearly all the other fish. I’ve aleays read its best to keep one as they will bully each other unless it’s a large tank, but they are peaceful and serene. The other color variations are nice but the original red and white with iridescent blue highlights on the spine and eyes is just gorgeous.
They are beautiful but everyone is getting along great so not sure if should try again... especially since the clowns were attacked by the last ones.
Have two clowns, court jester, royal gramma and black clown goby

I’m going to work on gettin my tank to a heathy stable point, and eventually add a firefish, some sort of a wrass, and a cleaner shrimp. In addition to my 4 fish I currently have, that will be my maximum stocking. I wil have to come up with a quarantine system of some sort. I have dodged the bullet so far without quarantine, but I’m not willing to take a chance anymore.