• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2 gsl. custom acrylic rimless with 150W metal halide

Hello everyone, I've been working on this tank for about a month now, gathering parts, building things here and there and so on. i figured id start a thread here to document my progress.

Equipment,

100Watt ebo jager heater

Ranco temperature controller with a thermal well
20 gal. sump/fuge

150W PFO pendant and ballast with a 14K pheonix bulb

Bubble maggus NAC 3.5 cone skimmer

Gravity Fed ATO

And a hydor seltz adjustable return pump.

I still need to get an ro/di filter( Most likely from "The Filter Guys")

I plan on using E.V.S salt.

Okay, now that the equipment is covered, heres some pics of everything.

I got my tank made from advanced acrylics, its a custom 12x12x5" 3/8" acrylic cube with a center internal overflow.( plastic wrap was place on the tank to prevent scratches)

Heres the tank,( those returns have since been changed),
Nanotankbuild4.jpg

For size reference,
Nanotankbuild4.jpg

I then built a "mini stand" for the tank using oak trim.( 1/2 foam was placed between the plywood on the bottom of the stand and tank)
Nanotankbuild4.jpg

nanotankbuild6stand.jpg

A shot inside the overflow( return has since been replaced, info and pics are further in the thread)
dursoinoverflow2.jpg

I originally got a 9 LED kit of rapid LED, made the fixture ect, but i decided to ditch the LED's and go with the halide, the LED's will be used as a fuge light. heres a shot of the tank with the LED's
completelight2.jpg

completelight.jpg

The stand i am using was given to me by my uncle, it is an oceanic stand made for a 40 gal. i built the stand up with 2x4's and ply-wood so the surface would be even with the trim- I then tiled the stand to give it a better appearance, ( please note i haven't grouted the tile yet),
tankstand2.jpg

tankstand.jpg

Once the tile was complete, i sealed the inside of the stand with 2 coats of Kilz primer, and i plan on doing 2 more coats with epoxy appliance paint to further-more protect against water damage, I do now have pictures of the inside of the stand.

Heres a shot of the new return, I originally had the tank maker drill the return hole in the overflow, but trying to plumb the return in a 4x4 area just wasnt worth the hassle, and if i ever needed to service the return, it would be nearly impossible. so I had 2 extra 1/2" bulkheads, so i put the bulkheads in both return holes and got threaded PVC caps, painted them black, then screwed them into the bulkheads, so if i ever wanted to use those holes again, all i have to do is un-screw the caps and i can use them easily. the new return consists of 1/2" spray bar loc-line. the loc-line will be covered in sand with only the nozzles sticking out, so it shouldnt be noticeable when the tank is up and running, it was hard trying to get even flow around the center overflow,
picotankupdate2.jpg

picotankupdate.jpg

Heres a shot of the DIY metal halide fixture to hold the pendant above the tank. its just a simple PVC structure painted black, i plan on using eye-bolts in both and pendant and light stand and hang the metal halide with small chain so i can adjust the height of the halide easily,
picotankupdate3.jpg

So, i think thats its for now... I will update the thread as progress continues. sorry for the low- quality pictures, I'm stuck using my phone camera, hopefully i can get a friend to lend me a good digital camera and take some nice pics. any comments and suggestions are welcome!

Please excuse the first 3 pictures that are the same, im tired and I must have click the same picture LOL, here are the pics that were supposed to be shown,
nanotankbuild6stand.jpg

Nanotankbuild5stand.jpg

NewFTS.jpg

Also, I forgot to post pictures of the skimmer and controller,

Ranco controller,
rancocontroller.jpg

Skimmer,
skimmer.jpg

mainly different kinds of zoas, paly's, and mushrooms like yumas, rics, hairies ect, and for livestock, maybe a pair of yellow clown gobies and/or a few sezie srimp, nothing major though.

howze01

NJRC Member
Really nice little set up you have there! Like the stocking plans too. Once you're up and running I have some zoos and palys you're welcome to. Where are you in NJ?

Ok, got the hardware to mount the halide pendant, its on the highest link right now, it drops another 12 inches. I also picked up epoxy appliance paint to finish the inside of the stand. here are the pics, the first 1 is with my bedroom lights on, and the other 2 are with them off. the pendant gets HOT but i can barely feel the heat on top of the tank, which is good. i have 2 125MM computer fans so if heat becomes an issue i'm sure those will cool it down.

Woops, forgot the pics! LOl

Heres a shot with the bedroom lights on,
metalhalide3.jpg

Heres a couple with the bedroom lights off,
metalhalide2.jpg

metalhalide.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
picotankupdate.jpg

hmmm... very interesting design.
have you consider to use the locline just surrounding the overflow box? (instead of around the outside area.)
that way, you no need to have something stick out from outside to the inside of the tank to connect the locline.

looks great anyway.

Yes, i originaly planned on having the lon-line around the overflow, but when i went to do it i realised the loc line is WAY to big. if i did it i wouldnt have any room for rock. so i had to do it the way its shown around the perimeter of the tank.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks nice. I hope you placed a siphon break in the top section of loc line. If not, when you lose power the returns are going to back siphon all the water in the tank into the sump.

I know this is off topic, but I tried to joing the membership on the homepage, but when i clicked the application button, it said page not found... anyone know why?

malulu

NJRC Member
Jake95 said:
I know this is off topic, but I tried to joing the membership on the homepage, but when i clicked the application button, it said page not found... anyone know why?

Please PM - "JohnS_323" or "magic"
thx

finished grouting and sealing the stand yesterday, my return pump heater, and sand are coming tomorrow, im so close i can almost taste it! i just need salt and rock and i can finally set this baby up!

my return pump and heater came today, so tomorrow i can finally do a freshwater test and dial everything in, stay tuned!

Sorry for the late reply, I did a freshwater test, everything performed well, some things need some minor adjustments. I did something yesterday that i thought i would never do.... DRILLED THE TANK! i just couldnt get the right flow with my original set up, so i broke down and drilled the tank for a 1/2" return, had some locline and made up a return, which i think is going to stay, just need to test it and make any adjustments. Was at tropiquarium yesterday to pick up suction-cups, it killes me to look at those displays and all the frags and not having a tank to put them in! Lol. now i just need salt,water and rock and i can finally get her cycling. i plan on ordering a new metal halide bulb someday this week.