• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

20 G Long setup?

Hey, one of my friends wants to sell me a 20G Long setup..

This is a 20 gallon salt water tank no leaks , comes with :1 fish, filter, live sand, heater, hydrometer, saltwater light/hood+extra light bulb, black background, airpump+hose+stone.no stand
And the lighting is t8 salt water light I have a marine-glo and power-glo

He wants like $80 for the tank.. What exactly can I hold with a tank, which corals like sps, lps, anemones, zoas, or what?

i think you are better off just buying your own tank. everything that you said was included i think would be pretty useless

i'd go for a used 40 breeder. go out and price everything out.

tank, heater, hang-on fuge, light fixture (i'd go used for the first time) just so you know how it feels and find out exactly what route you want to go while becoming more educated on the saltwater side, rk lite, live sand, live rock, test kits, corals, fish. the last two after cycle and giving you time to understand water parameters.

if you can find a used setup with everything above or most then i'd give a thumbs up. RESEARCH TYPES OF TANKS. there are amazing nanos coming out. neo, zero edge, cadlights, solona, elos, jbj 28 hqi version, oceanic biocube. or >>>>>CUSTOM MADE (route i'm going next)

this hobby is expensive. but i would guarentee you'd be less likely to upgrade from that 20gal long in the next few months.

I agree with evo. Not much of that stuff is needed for a salt setup . I love the 20 long . Look in the used equiptment post for lights ,filtration and rock . You will be surprised if you shop around how little used equiptment is . Dont forget ebay and craigslist .
Try to get t-5 lights,they should wotk well on a 20l .

Well i have a 29gallon myself but i was gonna get another tank to make it a salt.. bc this 29 is freshwater, yet on second thought I think I'm just gonna donate the freshwater ones and turn my 29 into a reef, it's really tough to find a T5 that is under $175, which is pretty much all I have to use for a light...

if you build a hood for your 29 you can do the t5's cheaper. I had a 20 high and I think the lighting stuff cost around $150 with bulbs. Since then i moved to a fixture and like the fixtures better, but if your on a budget it can be done.

Well I have the stock hood for my 29 but its only a one bulb socket so i dont know anything that's high enough and will do a one bulb job..

absolutely not. ;D

on a budget certified used is the way to go. reefcentral, here, nano-reef, craigslist, ebay (i would go for brand names only on this option).

Sorry but this tank isn't happening, i got a definite idea on the tank I want now, sorry guys, lock the thread if possible mods or delete!