• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

20 Long

Just starting it up today. Figured I'd go ahead and start my thread while my RO is working overtime.

Here's what I have so far.

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

Thanks guys.

The stand I build for another tank a few years ago, so I figured I might as well reuse it. There are 4 switches and 4 timers each controlling an individual outlet.
For example I can set it up so....
Switch One - Powerhead
Switch Two - Filter
Switch Three - Skimmer

Timer One - Fuge light
Timer Two - Attinics
Timer Three - Main Lights

The last tank on this stand had a sump, fuge , ect.. so there was more to control, It made feeding and water changes easier.

nice start! is that purple figi bagged sand? if so the stuffs incredible!
good luck post when you're ready for corals i've got tons of paly's

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first choice for filtration would be to drill the tank and get a sump, trust me you will be happy in the long run. Plus you will have a much cleaner looking tank with the heater and skimmer (if you get one) in the sump.

Otherwise, I had that SubCurrent fixture in my 20L frag tank. To get good surface skimming you have to raise it up to get the water to cascade into the filter. One recommendation I have is to replace the suction cups that come with it for ones that come with the Maxi-Jet pumps. With the stock suction cups the filter kept sliding down the glass and I would lose the surface skimming.

The output is kind of weak on the SubCurrent (only like 160GPH or something) so you will need additional flow. One thing you could also do that would add more flow and nutrient export would be to do a AC-70 Refugium Mod. I cant remember if it was the AC-70 or AC-110, might be both, that allows some people to fit their heater in there. With the heater in the fuge, it would clean up the look of the tank.

If you get a HOB skimmer and should for whatever reason decide on an Aqua-C Remora get the Remora Nano. The regular Remora and Pro are both too tall for a 20L.

I actually plan on running an external refugium with the output of the filter. The fuge will be taller than the tank so it will overflow back in. I don't plan on running a skimmer on this tank. Any recommendations for powerheads?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I did an above the tank fuge way back in '09 when I had my 29. I started with a 2.5G display fuge(shown in the pic), then a 5.5G and ended with a 10G with a huge ball of Cheato that I just had tumbling.

Power heads: In a 20L you want a small foot print.
First choice - MP-10
Second Choice - Koralia Nano 425 (possibly two of these on a wave maker, one on each end of the tank)

Ok, so I modded the filter to use some black tubing instead of the lockline. This way I can run the fuge from the filter output. I also made a stand for the LED light out of some 1/2" pipe and painted it black. I'll post some pics tonight.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Haha, I made a hanging fixture for my 20L out of 3/4" PVC for my LEDs. I knew it was just temporary so I didn't paint it or anything. Looking forward to see what you setup. :)

I wish I had some pics of my 20L frag tank to share. :(