• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

24 gallon cube glass broke....lost almost everything....

hey guys so this morning I wake up to find my tank dry all but 2 inches and all my coral dry, I put them all in a small tank for the time being until i can get a new tank of some type but I am extremely frustrated right now trying to clean all this water up....i have never had anything like this happen. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how i can buy a new tank/have it setup without cycling and pop my possibly alive/dead corals and my clowns in? Anything would help, also if anyone has any extra coral frags or tanks for cheap please let me know thank you.

-kyle

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you have live rock whatever water you put it in it will be just as "cycled" as it was in your other tank (minus whatever help your filter and sand was providing). For the most part you could get a rubbermaid tub and put your light over it for now and you'll be fine until you get a new tank in and ready for use. Just keep your rock alive and you'll be fine. That's where the lion's share of your bio-load capability is hanging around.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your tank. What brand was it and do you have any idea what could have caused the crack (level? heater placement? impact?)?

JBJ nanocube 24 gallon, no idea what caused the crack but i think im going to downsize to the 12 incase this happens again....i have heard of this happening with the 24 but never with the 12

i think im going to downsize to the 12 incase this happens again

Dont downsize, the frustration of keeping a 12G reef would drive you out of the hobby. None of us want to see that. If you have your stand intact then just ask in the forum and get a same size/larger aquarium . For now just get a food grade drum and have some flow going. And work on getting your bio filter going. I would be sceptical against dunking your already stressed out corals directly into the new setup.

If you know a reefer around you who has a holding tank ... just keep them there temporarily. A new setup takes a long time to mature .. Dont rush into it.

..Sorry for the mess man!!

I think the 12 JBJ's are really nice size. I have heard of the 24's cracking before. I am sure it was over on reef central. I don't think there is a lot of frustration with a small tank. Perhaps go with a homemade approach and make something unique. There are some really neat ideas floating around.

if i was to do it again. i would suggest go either custom made (custom king) from manhattanreefs, zeo tank or zero edge.

beautiful tanks! i like the uniqueness.

if you like rimless go either cadlights or solona. if your a baller go ELOS.

I'm so sorry to hear for your lose, it's an extreme hurt to your ego i can bet, it's happened to me once before with another freshwater tank, same size also. I usually don't like to keep tanks high either... Do you have any idea how it happened?

Also if you're searching for a tank, I am selling a 29gallon complete setup, but it has 14 live freshwater fish in it so idk if that would help you considering you still have to move the ones in the tank i have.. Lemme know if there's something i can do to help!

I am sorry for your loss. I can sympathize, when I was still in law school i had my nano on top of a bookcase... and watched the bookcase sway, topple, and collapse. I kept the survivors in a 4G lobster pot (yes, ironic I know) with a power filter and the live rock for 4 days, then went and bought a replacement tank once I was sure that the survivors were going to survive. Then, after a tank crash (courtesy of my mother) kept all of my livestock in a 5G tank for a week. As long as you are careful to watch your water quality, your livestock will survive in a small tank until you can get a replacement. I know it is a lot less pretty, but consider a stock 20g (or 20 high) tank from a LFS to house your pets. It might not look as nice for us, but they will be fine.
Good luck.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
fantom555 said:
JBJ nanocube 24 gallon, no idea what caused the crack but i think im going to downsize to the 12 incase this happens again....i have heard of this happening with the 24 but never with the 12

Yeah, for whatever reason, the 24's are notorious for that crack. It's really a shame. I've heard of so many people getting burned by it. And the worst part is that some of them (like you, I assume) have had the tanks set up for a long time and then "boom", one day out of the blue it just cracks along the curve. As an aside, I had a 12g setup for 3 years with no problem so I think they are less prone to the problem.

Anyway, sorry for the loss. Hopefully you're able to find something that allows you to stay in the hobby.