• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2nd chamber Refugium 12gNC

Had a request for it in another thread so here goes how I went about mine.

I used this light here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=11382

Here is a picture of the light itself and the box it came in:
lightboxpl8.jpg

I planned to attach the light to the back of the tank with velcro tape. Here is the light fixture with velcro added:
velcrolightzr6.jpg

Here is a shot of the rear of the tank after measuring up, cutting the vinyl and attaching the opposite end of the velcro tape. I made the cut out low on the tank to avoid any kind of spillover by having the refugium light mounted too high:
velcrotankju8.jpg

Here is a shot of the light mounted up against the tank nice and tight, held on by the velcro tape:
lightmountedcu5.jpg

This shot shows the minimal spillover from the top of the light (none from the sides):
lightspillbackec3.jpg

This shot shows how light enters the chamber from the rear. No spillover, sucess!
lightspilltankpu9.jpg

I was able to use the gutter screening to hold/block my chaeto as well. The piece cost me about $2.55 from Home Depot and I only used 1/2 of it. Be sure it is all plastic!

Measure twice, cut once:
screenmeasurefg6.jpg

Installed:
screeninplacewb8.jpg

With both bulbs in the fixture and it being mounted so close I got higher tank temps and chaeto bleaching. I have since taken 1 bulb out so it is 9w coming through the back now.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's great! Very good documentation of the process. I'll have to give that a shot.

Thanks a lot of posting it.

(my vote is we sticky this one ;))

Looks great! How much did that light cost? Im thinking of using submersible leds but i know the way you did it is sure way your cheato will do good.