• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2x175w + 2x65w over a 55g?

Would this be enough to keep sps and such? I just picked up a 55g from my uncle (for free) and i'm wondering if i should go with 175w or 250w
the price isn't much more and if i ever upgrade to a 90g or 120 i could still use them. What do you guys think or have over your 55g?

Thank You,

Nick

2x150MH + 4x65PC over my 75 gives me quite a nice growth of SPS, and in some cases even too much light. If you go 2x250 over 55, you could have serious heat issue.

Ok. even with a hood and fans? My uncle said he ran duel 250w over it So when he upgraded to a 90g the lights would still be ok. So just go with two 175w and use my 65w's?

C

concept3

that's what I did, and even though I did have a minor heat issue (alleviated with a $10 sump fan and 4 computer fans in the hood), having the 250's allowed me flexibility for SPS placement. I upgraded to a 75 gallon and still used the same lights and upgraded again to my 5 foot tank and still use the same lights.... so 250's was the way to go for me since I always seem to get bigger tanks as the years go by :)

cool, That's why i thought about 250's because then i don't have to worry about lights if i upgrade again. Well i guess I'll be looking around for 250w lights my plan is to make a hood and put two fans in the back and one blowing in and out on each side.

Thanks Merv

To agree with the others; I use 175's along with a bunch of actinic on my 75G. It is more than enough light. If you are worried, I would look into the Iwasaki 175 15K's. They put out as much PAR as many 250's. They are the most expensive 175W bulb I've seen, but, defintely the brightest.

Good Luck,
Dave

rutz81 said:
...I use 175's along with a bunch of actinic on my 75G. It is more than enough light. If you are worried, I would look into the Iwasaki 175 15K's. They put out as much PAR as many 250's. They are the most expensive 175W bulb I've seen, but, defintely the brightest.
I agree too. I have 175w 15k Iwasaki on a 120 with plenty of SPS. I have good growth and they seem to suffice. My guess is 250's would provide better growth but not necessary for me. I also have 2 110w super actinics vho's.

I'm sorry i didn't know people were still posting :eek:
I went ahead and got 4x54w T5's. I've seen tons of threads from people keeping sps tanks with only T5's

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You'll be fine with T5s. And if they're retros you could always add MH later should you decide you wanted to push your parents electric bill to the extremes.