• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

3 gallon nano

I am thinking of starting a 3 gallon nano for my office, but there are a few questions that come up....

What type of lighting should I put on there? Is a 7W Compact Fluorescent OK? The one I have laying around looks like something found here: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquariums_tanks_jbj_picotope-ap.html

What type of fish would successfully live in a 3 gallon tank?

Can anyone recommend a coral or two that would be great for this size tank? I would need something that is compatible with my lighting system and size.

For coral, you can go with just about anything and fish wise I wouldn't go with anything bigger than a single clown goby.
For lighting I would recommend a DIY LED setup, but the light it comes with will work for some hardy, lower lightish corals.

Some good reading:
El Fab's Simple Guide to Pico Tanks, A Comprehensive Tutorial to Keeping A Successful Pico
aaaaannndddd...
El Fab's Sexy Pico, Version 2.0 - SPS/LPS micro reef

with a teaser pic...
pico082009.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Holy cow that is a lot of stuff in a tiny tank.

We have both thought about putting a tank in the office but decided the mess and extra water for water changes was not worth it. Just something to think about.

vangvace - thanks for the helpful information. I am going to look at the two sites you gave me.

Also - that is one good looking tank, nono or full set up! WOW!!! Where did you get the picture from?

mnat - The company I work for has an RO filter water station that I can use to mix with salt and use as my top off water. I might even just mix my water at home and use a gallon water jug to transport it to work. It would be on a weekly basis, though. Good point to bring up!

That's a shot of El Fab's tank from the links he posted. Nano-reef.com has some great stuff, he started w/ the stock light from the JBJ picotope 3 gallon, than went to that current satellite in the pict and than got an LED setup from Evil66. That JBJ 3 gallon and the finnex 4 gallon are pretty neat little tanks.

It is definitely possible to make something amazing out of a small tank like that, I would plan what you want to first and then build the tank around it. You don't have a alot of room to move things around so make sure you get what you want in the long run.

I kept a 4 gallon pico for 2 years. I don't have any fish in it currently but at one point I had a pair of lime stripped gobies.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikedelo said:
mnat - The company I work for has an RO filter water station that I can use to mix with salt and use as my top off water. I might even just mix my water at home and use a gallon water jug to transport it to work. It would be on a weekly basis, though. Good point to bring up!

Based on your comment above I thought I'd mention that topoff water needs to be pure RO or you're going to see your salinity rise (quickly in a small tank). Make sure your CHANGE water is salted (to 1.022-1.026) and that your TOP OFF water is just RO.