• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

48" 6x54W Tek Light T5 High-Output Fixture. Good enough for 90g SPS?

this is what an 8 bulb tek will look like on a 90g

tank_0015B15D20levl20pl.jpg

justchad said:
mr_X said:
yes, it's a single reflector that is bent so that it has peaks between each bulb. not nearly as effective as true single reflectors.
also, i own a nova pro, and it's got a short in the sockets somewhere that i haven't gotten into yet. i have to wedge something under the one leg to cock it a bit so that all of the bulbs light.
mine is under a year old.

the lamps that come with the current fixtures are not great either. you'll want to replace them.

Are you running uvl bulbs? they are shorter, also running any other bulb in the nova will void the waranty. check out the website under.... frequently asked questions. LAMP WARNING
no. giesemann.

justchad said:
ALSO... To answer your question... 6 or 8 bulb..... an 8 bulb fixture (19 1/2 inches) will over hang a 90g which is 18" wide and 24 deep, 8 bulbs will not penetrate any deeper than a 6 bulb fixture.(15 3/4 inches) all you will gain would be front to back by using an 8 bulb fixture over a 6 which is kinda pointless.

your answer was perfect, it was just that i didnt see that this thread went to 2 pages when i posted my question. sorry and thank you. I believe what you said but why is it that 6 bulbs would penetrate just as deep as 8 bulbs? that part i kinda dont get. so would 4 bulbs go as deep as 6 just not as wide?

N

njstillwell

The only thing we are saying is that a 6 bulb setup vs a 8 bulb set up wont be much different then each other, because you are maxing out on your PAR rating with a 6 bulb unit over a 90 gallon..And hes also telling you that a 8 bulb unit is to big for that tank...width wise. I'm running two units sounds funny but a 4 bulb t-5 setup with ATI bulbs and 2-150 halides on a 120.Which is 24 deep and have sps and clams on the bottom...

arc0p0ra said:
justchad said:
ALSO... To answer your question... 6 or 8 bulb..... an 8 bulb fixture (19 1/2 inches) will over hang a 90g which is 18" wide and 24 deep, 8 bulbs will not penetrate any deeper than a 6 bulb fixture.(15 3/4 inches) all you will gain would be front to back by using an 8 bulb fixture over a 6 which is kinda pointless.

so would 4 bulbs go as deep as 6 just not as wide?

yes. a 4 bulb will penetrate as deep as a 6 or 8 but not as wide.... you are correct! my 150g tank is 30" deep, and for that reason and that reason alone I am running 2-250w MH on that tank.If you want a professional opinion contact mott768. He probably knows the most about T5 lighting on this site! ;D

D

Deleted member 10862

i have seen the same setup on a lot of sps tanks before..i say GO FOR IT!!

I had on in my 75 gallon tank, and it worked wonders. I'm not using mine right now since I broke down my tank and got the RedseaMax 250 which came with the light. I am trying to sell it now, but I was hoping to keep it just in case.