• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

65 gallon reef and 28 nano

Hi all I am fairly new to reef tanks but going slow seems to be key so far. I have a 65 gallon up about 5 months with a scopa tang,clown,algae blenny,and a convict blenny.It also has about 15 snails and 15 crabs,right now just some easy coral anthelia,xenia,shrooms and polyps.My nano has been up about 7 months with a clown,pj crdinal,and green goby about 10 each of crabs and snails.Right now it is getting out of control with hair algae but working on that.
th_tanks002.jpg

th_tanks004.jpg

Welcome, Megs!

We have had hair algae problems with our 12g nano before. Are you running power compact lights?
Are you using a skimmer? Anything to remove phophsphates? Any carbon?

It is a pain in the neck, but manual removal of hair algae (literally put the rock in a bucket of water and pull the hair algae off with your fingers) does work.

Megs welcome to the club.NikkiT has asked alot of great questions all I can add at this time is to suggest maybe adding a sea hare,they are like lawn mowers on the hair algea and will clean the tank asap.

It is a stock nano cube 28 no skimmer i have found will fit it.I do use phosban and carbon I think this weekend i may start pulling out rocks to pick.Next time i go to a fish store i may pick up a sea hare.Thanks for the avice

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Tunze 9002 is the most popular nano skimmer for the 28/29 gallon cube tanks pared with an inTank skimmer cup.

Skimmers for nanos are tough to find.

Our 12 g nano runs without a skimmer. as far as carbon, I suggest chemipute elite. If your corals are ok with a blackout period of 36-48 hours, then that can be very helpful as well.

I try to do at least 20% weekly water changes.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
+1 to Chemipure Elite.

I had a period where I slacked off on the maintenance of my Biocube 8 and had a hair algae outbreak. I added chemipure elite and did water changes 2x a week ( normally I do water changes 1x week) and the hair algae was completely gone in 4 weeks.

On my RSM 130D i run SteveT media basket in the chamber tehn have chemipure elite on the bottom, purigen middle, and phosguard on top, seems to work well.