• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

75 gallon sump and refugium

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here are two 75 gallon sumps I’ve put together.

9c1bb31b-fe84-42e6-9312-2f5a2fcfa8fd_zpsa3ae6e7f.jpg

EdwinsSump.jpg

What is critical is deciding specifically what equipment you wish to put in the sump and sizing the compartments accordingly. Most likely the largest item will be the skimmer. You want to make sure that obviously it fits in the space, but that you also have the room to get the skimmer in and out of the sump as well.

Depending on skimmer I've found it works well to have the water enter the sump into the skimmer chamber, so I make a large first chamber and include my socks and skimmer there.

Just a way I've personally done with success.

I have three different designs I'm thinking of the first one is( refugium; return pump feeding it ;protein skimmer&intake) or (intake protein skimmer; refugium; return) or (intake; protein skimmer; refugium; return)

The inside width of the tank is 17 1/2 & they cut baffles at 17 1/2 .. there mistake. he said he was going to cut 1/6 extra but didn't. I just dropped them off . I'm going with 1/8 .. I still got ontill tomorrow morning to tell them otherwise .. so if anyone could please tell me if I should go with 1/6 or 1/8 shy on the cut?.. any one .

The inside width of the tank is 17 1/2 & they cut baffles at 17 1/2 .. there mistake. he said he was going to cut 1/6 extra but didn't. I just dropped them off . I'm going with 1/8 .. I still got ontill tomorrow morning to tell them otherwise .. so if anyone could please tell me if I should go with 1/6 or 1/8 shy on the cut?.. any one .

An 1/8" or 1/16" off the inside width of the tank will be enough.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jose, from your PM and conversation we had tonight, I wanted to post a picture of my current sump, with the return section in the middle. I have two drain pipes coming down from my DT. One enters the refugium in the right corner, the other enters a filter sock in the left corner. The filter sock is behind the skimmer that also shares this compartment. The center compartment has the return pump. Also included there is a bio-pellet reactor that “exhausts” at the skimmer pick-up. Here’s a picture of the 40B sump:

IMG_6380_zps48b607bf.jpg

You are more than welcome to stop by and see it in person.

Good meeting u & talking to u yesterday .. before I put my baffles in for my sump / refugium . Ill come by to see how that design works thank u..