• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A bad morning

I woke up this morning to find one of my cats not moving at all and barely breathing. Raced off to the vet and he was diagnosed with FIP (which the vet says is common in Bengal cats), a fast acting viral disease with no known cure or effective treatment. Of my 3 cats this 22 toed cat was my favorite. We had to have him euthanasied this morning. This is the first pet we have ever had put down, and we didn't ever think it would be so emotional.

f_DSC00192m_6718d3e.jpg

Squeeky Squeekerson

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So sorry to hear that, it's tough losing a pet especially so unexpectedly!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear that. What a shame. Do they have any idea what causes something like that?

JohnS_323 said:
Sorry to hear that. What a shame. Do they have any idea what causes something like that?
Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a viral disease of cats caused by certain strains of a virus called the feline coronavirus. Most strains of feline coronavirus are avirulent, which means that they do not cause disease. Cats infected with a feline coronavirus generally do not show any symptoms during the initial viral infection, and an immune response occurs with the development of antiviral antibodies. In a small percent of infected cats (5 to 10 percent), either by a mutation of the virus or by an aberration of the immune response, the infection progresses into clinical FIP. With the assistance of the antibodies that are supposed to protect the cat, white blood cells are infected with virus, and these cells then transport the virus throughout the cat’s body. It is this interaction between the body’s own immune system and the virus that is responsible for the disease. Once a cat develops FIP involving one or many systems of the cat’s body, the disease is progressive and is almost always fatal.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've had to put a number of cats to sleep and it's always hard whether you know it's coming or not. You are in my thoughts.
Michelle