• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A Siliconing Question

Hey all,

I have a question about siliconing glass. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find the answer I need. I have found all sorts of how to's on bonding acrylic, however, I am trying to put together my external overflow. I had all the pieces cut for me and I just finished cutting the bulkhead :eek: 8) :eek: 8).

The last part of my project (this stage anyhow) involves putting the box together. I have absolutely no clue as to how to silicone the panes together so that they are square. Does anyone have any ideas (or willing to do the siliconing for a fee) on how to do this. I have seen pictures with the glass taped, but I guess I just don't get it. This is my first time working with glass. I cant imagine that it's rather difficult, I have just never done it before.

Thank you soooo much for any input! You have no idea how much it's appreciated!

Tom

I'm by far no expert, but I use these for squaring wood boxes for drawers, small box shelves, etc:

http://www.woodworker.com/PF071_D.HTM

I imagine they would work for glass as well, just don't tork them down or you will crack the glass. I'd probably also line the contact surface on the clamp with some kind of felt or something too to keep from scratching.

here u go :)
make sure the glass is clean
i did one piece per day to insure the silicone would dry

DSC06046.jpg

u want to put a bead of silicone like this & make sure it is
square when u put it on the othe glass piece
DSC06059.jpg

DSC06054.jpg

then u would do the same for the other side, i added the bottom
piece last then cut the holes for the bulkheads
DSC06062.jpg

then i put a long bead on the edges all the way around & fliped
it over put some weigh on it & left it to dry overnight.
DSC06130.jpg

then i added silicone on all the corners & that was it
DSC06141.jpg

& dont worry it will never come off unless u cut it.
this is the silicone i used from hone depot
10-14-06-1.jpg

Steve,
That was absolutely perfect!!! ;D ;D ;D! That was exactly what I was looking for!

That weir cut is really nice, wish mine looked half that good lol, I may have to scrap the current tank and redo (it's a $25 15 gallon :D :D). Looks like I will be getting some more glass cutting experience as I dropped the bottom peice on the floor last night lol.

Matt,
Thanks for that link, those are really nice to have around!!!!

Tom

C

concept3

Steve- brownie points for you!

so, when I eventually get a house, you wanna do my "coast to coast" overflow box? It should be about 8 feet long

LOL

just one quick note i didn't see steve have up there. if you look the reason he did the bottom last was that the 2 sides and back are to sit on the bottom peice.

Pete,

Thanks for pointing that out, I saw it in the pic and figured that might have been the case.

Merv, is that a case of Manifest Destiny gone awry? :D :D :D :D

concept3.875 said:
Steve- brownie points for you!

so, when I eventually get a house, you wanna do my "coast to coast" overflow box? It should be about 8 feet long

LOL

U got it Merv just let me know when :)

Tom ur welcome.
i went to a glass shop & had the glass for the overflow cut
cost me 40 bucks & i paid 30 for the used 50 gallon breeder LOL
this hobby cracks me up sometimes.