• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acan Secrets

Would someone be kind enough to give me some information on Acan growth?

I'm wondering if the heads just continue to grow off of one another, or does the frags skeleton grow with as well.
How about lighting requirements?

I had one before that I bought from Dr. Mac. It was growing new heads slowly. I was feeding it mysis once a week, and I guess it was picking up the food at night from my feeding of "coral food". I didn't see any skeleton growth though. ???

Thanks,

Erik

erid said:

I'm wondering if the heads just continue to grow off of one another, or does the frags skeleton grow with as well.

I had one before that I bought from Dr. Mac. It was growing new heads slowly. I was feeding it mysis once a week, and I guess it was picking up the food at night from my feeding of "coral food". I didn't see any skeleton growth though. ???

Thanks,

Erik

As long as your calcium levels are optimum, the skeleton growth will happen.

Frankly, though, I prefer the flesh growth, anyway, mainly because that means that you're doing well with everything else in the tank.

A lot of reefers go for skeletal growth over flesh growth.

jonathan. said:
erid said:

Thanks,

Erik

As long as your calcium levels are optimum, the skeleton growth will happen.

Frankly, though, I prefer the flesh growth, anyway, mainly because that means that you're doing well with everything else in the tank.

A lot of reefers go for skeletal growth over flesh growth.

Thanks man. Erik

Interesting, I've never heard the concept discussed of favoring one type of growth over the other; flesh vs. skeleton.

I'm curious why you would do it and how?

It seems to me that the best approach is balanced, natural growth.

What are the advantages to the other approaches for the coral?

blange3 said:
Interesting, I've never heard the concept discussed of favoring one type of growth over the other; flesh vs. skeleton.

I'm curious why you would do it and how?

It seems to me that the best approach is balanced, natural growth.

What are the advantages to the other approaches for the coral?

Well, to me, all of the additives that reefers add to the tank are mainly for skeletal growth. It just seems that people see "success" with skeletal growth rather than flesh growth for some odd reason. I didn't mean that it is actually PREFERRED, but yeah -- the balanced way is obviously the best way.

What I meant, is that if you're seeing flesh growth, you're obviously doing good. Skeletal growth comes with additives and calcium levels. Flesh growth comes with solid tank conditions (which seem to be harder than dosing additives all the time!).

So yeah, if you're seeing skeletal growth but not flesh growth, great. You're additives are fine but obviously tank conditions are not ideal. But you don't normally see flesh growth without skeletal growth.

How about growth time?
I'd like to get a few exotic Australian frags and grow em out. It seems like it would take forever to form a nice size colony. Those frag chunks are ugly as sin!

erid said:
How about growth time?
I'd like to get a few exotic Australian frags and grow em out. It seems like it would take forever to form a nice size colony. Those frag chunks are ugly as sin!

Most LPS are pretty slow growers outside of a few of the Euphyllia species.

you can get agressive growth by slashing your acans with razor. I did this and the y healed in a few days and grew more polys in 2 week then they did in 2 months. the whole frag was3 polyps and in 7 months. It is now 28 polyps.

Not for the faint of heart. and I did this to 1 other frag and had same result.

blackbeard said:
you can get agressive growth by slashing your acans with razor. I did this and the y healed in a few days and grew more polys in 2 week then they did in 2 months. the whole frag was3 polyps and in 7 months. It is now 28 polyps.

Not for the faint of heart. and I did this to 1 other frag and had same result.

As long as you cut the mouth in half it should be fine. Some people probably cut them in fours even, but I certainly won't try it and confirm it!

Cool. The guy from Sea Treasures told me the same thing about zoos at the last swap.

Reef Secrets...lol ;)

Thanks,

Erik