• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acans and dwarf angels...

...do they go together?

I'm really thinking about adding a flame angel to my tank or possibly a Potter's.

Never had acans with dwarf angels so I can't really remember if they are compatible or not!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I have a flame angel and I regret having this fish more than any other. He is constantly nipping at my acans and SPS, never enough to do any damage, but enough for the polyps to stay in on my SPS, and for my acans to live but not really expand and thrive. I have tried to trap him but with no success.

Of course every fish is different and you may get one that does not touch your corals, but if you ask me it is not worth the risk.

dnov99 said:
I have a flame angel and I regret having this fish more than any other. He is constantly nipping at my acans and SPS, never enough to do any damage, but enough for the polyps to stay in on my SPS, and for my acans to live but not really expand and thrive. I have tried to trap him but with no success.

Of course every fish is different and you may get one that does not touch your corals, but if you ask me it is not worth the risk.

Pretty much what I figured with flames. Always heard they were a threat to LPS. One of them in the past killed a beautiful elegance of mine...

I think the decision for me is to go with a golden. Always heard good things about them. Just have to find a healthy one for less than $100. ;D

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
AQ Ob had a beautiful golden pygmy angel a couple of weeks ago, don't remember the price, shoot them a message.

I think its hit or miss,I've had dwarfs in other coral tanks,and had great success,got along well and never touched a coral.Now I have a flame in my current reef,and regret ever putting him in..picks on everything,along with a damsel,they cost 3 times in damage then they are worth.Good luck with your choice,hope it works out 4 ya

I have a couple of angels in my reef tank
I have a flame angel now for 3 years I occasionally see him nip at my SPS ( more now since I discovered the AEFW)
other than that no problems he's healthy and I keep him well fed
I also have 2 large angels a 4" regal and a 5" goldflake I cant keep zoos I do have a large open brain and a pretty decent size Orange crush and have ( KNOCK WOOD!!!) no issues with either of them
again I keep nori accessible and they get fed pellets every day

I guess it'***** or miss I did have a potters years back that destroyed an elegance on me

i have been thinking about adding a flame angel and/or a coral beauty, but i think i am going to stay clear of angels for my reef tank. i have both of these fish in my previous tanks anyhow.

Patriot76 said:
i have been thinking about adding a flame angel and/or a coral beauty, but i think i am going to stay clear of angels for my reef tank. i have both of these fish in my previous tanks anyhow.

Everything that I've heard and seen about Golden Angels lends me to believe that they are almost 100% reef safe (even Wet Web Media kind of agrees with this).

jonathan. said:
Patriot76 said:

Everything that I've heard and seen about Golden Angels lends me to believe that they are almost 100% reef safe (even Wet Web Media kind of agrees with this).

sounds as if the golden angel is the most reef friendly of the dwarf angels, but not still, as its been said over and over again, every fish is different.

here is what Drs F&S have to say about this species-

Often maintained by hobbyists in the reef aquarium, caution should be used if there is an abundance of LPS and SPS coral in the tank. This species has been known to nip at these corals as well as Xenia corals.

i know that once i add a fish to my tank there is no way i would ever be able to get it out! and with my luck, i would get the golden angel from hell! plus, i think there are many other reef safe fish that are more attractive than a golden angel. not to mention that i am not one to spend $180 on a fish!

Patriot76 said:
jonathan. said:
Patriot76 said:

sounds as if the golden angel is the most reef friendly of the dwarf angels, but not still, as its been said over and over again, every fish is different.

here is what Drs F&S have to say about this species-

Often maintained by hobbyists in the reef aquarium, caution should be used if there is an abundance of LPS and SPS coral in the tank. This species has been known to nip at these corals as well as Xenia corals.

i know that once i add a fish to my tank there is no way i would ever be able to get it out! and with my luck, i would get the golden angel from hell! plus, i think there are many other reef safe fish that are more attractive than a golden angel. not to mention that i am not one to spend $180 on a fish!

Well, that $180 is absurd. It's usually for sale for around $100.

But even Mr. Bob Fenner pretty much assures it's reef-safed-ness. For the most part.