• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

advice on an angel

i would lke to put a angel in m reef, i love them but i dont want to wake up to my clam devoured, any advice?, anyone here have an angel with clams?

Check out the Bellus Angel. They are as reef safe as you can get. You can also try the wantanabe(sp)they are also considered reef safe.

waynes reef said:
i would lke to put a angel in m reef, i love them but i dont want to wake up to my clam devoured, any advice?, anyone here have an angel with clams?

Any of the swallowtail angels mentioned (the Bellus and the Wantanabe are only 2 of them) are almost completely reef safe.

Also very, very reef safe is the Golden Dwarf angel. A true beauty if you ask me. Runs around $100 or so most places and seems to be hit or miss availability wise. One of the hardiest as well.

A Potters angel is also fairly reef safe from the dwarf side as well.

A 4th choice would be a Regal Angel. Much more reef safe than many large angels, but obviously fairly difficult to keep. ONLY buy yellow chested ones that are eating. The white/blue/gray chested ones all seem to die out.

A 5th and final choice if I had to pick one would be the Majestic Angel. Might pick a bit, but, again -- more reef safe than most of the large angels.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have a bellus pair with a clam. So far they have no interest in it. The clam is opened way up and looking healthy and happy as a clam. They are a great pair of fish.

Trop has a beautiful pair in store now.

thanks for the input, i have to give this some thought, i would like a full size angel and the regal seems like the best choice, but i have seen emporers in reef tanks also, but i guess it all depends on what kind of risk i want to take right, like i said, i have to give this some carefull thought

waynes reef said:
thanks for the input, i have to give this some thought, i would like a full size angel and the regal seems like the best choice, but i have seen emporers in reef tanks also, but i guess it all depends on what kind of risk i want to take right, like i said, i have to give this some carefull thought

I see Emps in reef tanks, but not normally reef tanks with clams.

I urge you to check out the Annularis Angel. They are tremendously gorgeous fish (if you get a chance, check out Trop's in their FOWLR show tank).

I didn't mention it in my post, but they are normally considered fairly reef safe. Might go after Xenia probably, but I had one in my old tank and it never bothered my LPS (even my elegance!).