• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Airpod headphones - review - err, wow!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I'm a minor, outskirts, audiophile. My Dad was a big one, so I know quality and will usually bite the bullet and buy the best system I can afford. The Nakamichis, Boston, and AR systems he used to buy are well out of my range, but I do buy as best as I can. My goto headphones are a pair of wired Sennheiser Momentums. Insanely comfortable, sound to die for, etc... Never thought I'd hear better anywhere near the price.

Then I got these 'Earpods'. They normally retail $250 (I got them pretty much free with the order of a new Mac) , less $ than the Senns. Sound is very good. Fit is very comfortable. The charge lasts 12-20 hours. The case recharges 'em 4 times (the case is a case/battery), and the entire package is smaller than a box of mints. They pair with your phone automatically when you put them in your ear (pressure sensors?), and pause your music when you take them out of your ear.
But here's the crazy thing.
They have a proprietary 'noise cancelling' system. I thought, 'Eh, so what? My Hyper-X gaming headphones have that'.
Then I activated it and it literally cancels out noise. There is NOTHING BUT MUSIC, every frigging detail, every slide on a guitar string, every sniffle of the artist is there. Its like remastered vinyl on a high end system in a space suit in a vacuum. They have gone from 'very good for earbuds' to 'kick arse astounding for headphones' in a second.

And it also works without music, Carla and I were flippin out a bit. If you put them in and turn on the cancelling option without music on, you cant hear anything. its perfect silence, like quieter than asleep quiet. Its actually a bit strange to look at your wife, 3 feet away, who's talking to you and to not hear a thing (this may be a big bonus). It is sensory deprivation class.
I have no idea how they do this, but I'm curious as (insert curse word of choice here) and plan to look into it.

Only drawback is volume limitation. I can burn my eardrums with my Senns, where the volume is limited on the pods. But, saying that, and have to say that the volume on the pods, which is more than decent, is fully compensated for by the noise cancellation. I threw on King Crimson, Hendrix, Thelonius Monk, Green Day, Bach, and Interrupters to run them through the ringer and I think these things are my new go to.

I hate peddling stuff and hate promoting stuff, but right now I'm so excited about these things I decided to write out some thoughts.
I'll probably delete the post tomorrow. Just thought I'd share a few thought if there's any audiophiles out there.

A+ on these, if anyone cares or was wondering :)

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I agree Apple purchase “beats” Because they needed to improve their product.
Just like ecotech did with AI.
When your completion has a better product you buy them out.

I have done tons of research (I'm a bit of a tech geek. Full out smart home, audio systems, tv, gaming, etc.) And honestly, I wasn't impressed by the apple air pods. I went with the Jabra Elite 65Ts. Not the greatest but I find better and more customizable than the pods along with the samsung buds. I recently also got the Sony WF-1000XM3 which are amazing. Blowing almost the entire competition out of the park. The only other true wireless ear buds out that I think are at that level are the Sennheiser Momentum 2.

But I second that the first time I tried true wireless earbuds, it was so cool to see all the tech in such a small packaging. Can't wait to see what comes out in the future.

I also have the galaxy buds and the coolest thing is that I can charge those by setting them on the back of my phone which is a galaxy note 20 ultra (wireless charging share) .

horseplay

NJRC Member
iphone, ipad, imac, apple watch and the big sucking sound :) airpods is where I draw my line, for now. But I do need a nice pair of noise-cancelling headphones ...

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Agreed the Earpods are not impressive. I kicked them aside a while back and went with a set of Klipsch. The Earpod Pros are a different animal. Best noise cancellation I've heard in an earbud.
And let me know if you're console gaming Fox, I'm getting a Series X on release and the 5 a few weeks later. Only game I'm planning to run on the new Mac is Star Citizen.

Last edited: