• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Am I Crazy???

Well yes, maybe I am... but anyhow. So I've got this 58 Oceanic RR tank I started about 6 months ago and for the most part is doing well (other than the bubble algae) and I had this idea of attaching another tank into the system. I've got the typical homemade refugium/skimmer/sump on the 58 with chaeto in it but I was thinking if I sunk a powerhead (relatively low flow) into the overflow of the 58 I could send that into another tank (I just picked up a 37 Oceanic ) and drill a hole at the top of the 37 so it would overflow back into the 58. I could use the 37 for a display refuge to house macro algae, DSB and what not and get critters that enjoy the low flow waters that the 37 could provide and the over flow would take life back into the 58 without the pump shredding and killing it (copes, amphs, and what-nots). The systems being connected would provide a more stable environment for both tanks and both would essentially contribute to each others overall health. I still have to get approval from HLIC to make this happen but I thought it was a doable project with minimal cash output. Looking for some opinions, no need to opine about me being crazy because I already have the answer to that question!

BTW, I was a marine pipefitter on board USN aircraft carriers so I do have a solid grasp of piping dynamics and realize that having 3 vessels of moving water with multiple pumps has a significant chance of overflow unless carefully thought out and designed :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You are not crazy you are a reefer so we all understand that the more tanks the better. I have multiple tanks tied together so it can be done, display, frag, re circ, and sump. I think you will have more luck and less of a chane of flood if you use one return pump to feed both tanks with a manifold and you hard plumb that tank to your existing system. Drill the 37 for a return and overflow if you can drill it and go from there.

You are not crazy you are a reefer so we all understand that the more tanks the better. I have multiple tanks tied together so it can be done, display, frag, re circ, and sump. I think you will have more luck and less of a chane of flood if you use one return pump to feed both tanks with a manifold and you hard plumb that tank to your existing system. Drill the 37 for a return and overflow if you can drill it and go from there.

+1 less room for failure!