• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anemone suggestions to host clowns

I'm looking to purchase an anemone to host my 2 aquacultured true perc clowns. I've had my clowns for 9 months now without one. Please offer comments, suggestions and experience on which anoneme would give the best chance of success for hosting the clowns. Also, is there a lesser chance of success since they aren't "wild" raised clowns? Should I even bother?

Thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What else do you have in your tank, how big is the tank, what kind of light and flow do you have? These questions would each have an affect on the answer that I gave to your question (Should I even bother?).

Tank raised perc host all the time in the hobby, though they may need a bit of encouragement. I've heard people have success by taping a picture of hosting clowns onto the tank.

Phyl said:
I've heard people have success by taping a picture of hosting clowns onto the tank.

are you serious??!?!?!?!?!

maybe that will work to help my 2 year go on the potty!!!

i am curiously awaiting the answer to this anemome question. i too have to 2 true percs and would eventually like to have a nem for them to call home (once my tank is a bit more matured)

Patriot76 said:

I will post up a pic if that will help my 2 year old...but I think that will just gross out everyone else lol. I see enough in the diapers already thank you.

On the anemone question - I would answer by elminating one choice - which is don't try a condylactis...even though LFS continue to retail them (and there's even some anecdotal evidence a clown will force itself on the condy safely), they do not host clowns in the wild. According to Dr. Ron Shimek, they are shellfish/small fish eaters.

phil519 said:
Patriot76 said:

I will post up a pic if that will help my 2 year old...but I think that will just gross out everyone else lol. I see enough in the diapers already thank you.

On the anemone question - I would answer by elminating one choice - which is don't try a condylactis...even though LFS continue to retail them (and there's even some anecdotal evidence a clown will force itself on the condy safely), they do not host clowns in the wild. According to Dr. Ron Shimek, they are shellfish/small fish eaters.

yeah i was just joking about helping my son potty train that way (kinda disturbing i know). btw, girls are a lot easier to potty train than boys!

but really, do people seriously tape pics of clowns in anemomes on their tanks?

i second Phyl's advice about condi's. i was given 4 condi's for free with my LR. my Perc's wont even near them. condi's are from the atlantic (my LR is from the gulf coast). clowns are not found in the atlantic, so there is no relationship between condi's and clownfish. i have since removed 2 of them from the DT to the refugium. i kept the large one and a small blue one. kind of cool to watch them eat. i give them small pieces of shrimp on occaion. i removed the other two b/c they were moving all over the tank and i didnt want one to get sucked up into one of my powerheads. the other two i figured i would keep until i got a few corals in the tank (so the tank didnt look so bare). after about 2 months of being stationary, the other two started wandering now too. so i think they are going to be be moved to the LFS soon. or of anyone wants them, i will post a thread when i am ready to banish them. but, b/c these condi's moved all over the tank, i am wondering if i get another type of nem (rbta?) will it do the same thing?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Patriot76 said:
but really, do people seriously tape pics of clowns in anemomes on their tanks?

You know...actually they do! I've heard of people having success shortly after taping the picture up.

Birds Fan said:
I'm looking to purchase an anemone to host my 2 aquacultured true perc clowns. I've had my clowns for 9 months now without one. Please offer comments, suggestions and experience on which anoneme would give the best chance of success for hosting the clowns. Also, is there a lesser chance of success since they aren't "wild" raised clowns? Should I even bother?

Thanks

Birds Fan - where are my manners. Welcome to NJRC!

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Welcome to NJRC, Birds Fan. Personally, I love my Rose Bubble Tip anemone. Bright colors in my tank and my clowns love them.

momof6kids said:
Welcome to NJRC, Birds Fan. Personally, I love my Rose Bubble Tip anemone. Bright colors in my tank and my clowns love them.

Yes, Welcome to NJRC, Birds Fan! (Eagles? Cardinals? Orioles? Seahawks? Blue Jays?)

how old is your tank? I know you said you've had your clowns for 9 months.

I agree with Mom-Of-6, Rose Bubble Tip anemones are very nice. I hope to eventually get one myself to host my true percs!

Thanks Mom-of-6 for getting this thread back on track!

Patriot76 said:
momof6kids said:

Yes, Welcome to NJRC, Birds Fan! (Eagles? Cardinals? Orioles? Seahawks? Blue Jays?)

I agree with Mom-Of-6, Rose Bubble Tip anemones are very nice. I hope to eventually get one myself to host my true percs!

EAGLES fan. Tank is a 20 gal set up for 11 months. Tank info: Emperor 280 filter, Tunze 9002 skimmer, power sweep powerhead, 65w PC 50/50 lighting, 20lbs of LR and a 3" sand bed. Livestock; 2 percs, 1 royal gramma, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald green crab, several snails and 3 hermits. Corals; 1 sunflower, 1 candycane with 4 heads, 1 green mushroom (6 heads), 1 purple mushroom (4 heads), 1 mushroom leather. Ammonia, nitrite, phos are 0, nitrate around 5. I change about 5 gal per week.

I had heard a bubble tip is my best bet. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

sounds good! except for the eagles fan part.

good luck with your tank!

Birds Fan said:
Patriot76 said:
momof6kids said:

EAGLES fan. Tank is a 20 gal set up for 11 months. Tank info: Emperor 280 filter, Tunze 9002 skimmer, power sweep powerhead, 65w PC 50/50 lighting, 20lbs of LR and a 3" sand bed. Livestock; 2 percs, 1 royal gramma, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald green crab, several snails and 3 hermits. Corals; 1 sunflower, 1 candycane with 4 heads, 1 green mushroom (6 heads), 1 purple mushroom (4 heads), 1 mushroom leather. Ammonia, nitrite, phos are 0, nitrate around 5. I change about 5 gal per week.

I had heard a bubble tip is my best bet. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

My clowns are in a RBTA but it took months for them to go in. I tried the picture thing for a week and I didn't like it blocking the view of my tank, so I took it down. They hosted about a month later.... coulda been the picture.

i would say you need more lighting to keep any type of anemone....
but if you were gonna try one anyways...try a sebae... they have lower light requirements
than other nems and readily host more clowns than all other nems

i had one in my aquapod about 2yrs ago...i got it completely bleached
but within 2 months or so it reagained its color and started doing great...

it hosted a occellaris pair, a clarki clown and a cinnamon clown...all at different times

hth