• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Angelfish & Anemone Capatibility?

I'm toying with the idea of setting a FOWLR & anemone tank and I'm looking for input from people that have kept angelfish and anemones together, successfully or not.

The tentative stocking list would include:
1 maybe 2 angelfish
Majestic Angelfish (Pomacanthus navarchus)
Blueface Angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)
Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator)
Goldflake Angel (Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus)

Blueline Triggerfish (Pseudobalistes fuscus)
Harlequin Tusk (Choerodon fasciatus / Australian)
Radiant Wrasse (Halichores iridis)
Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)

Anemones:
Multiple RBTAs & GBTAs with 2 pair max of Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can't comment on the compatibility but it sounds like a good plan. Good Luck!

Not sure if I'm going to reuse my 125 or look for something larger like a 180 or 210. The Emperor gets big. So I may not go with one unless I do something larger than a 210, which is unlikely.

If I keep my 125 I'll probably go with the Majestic and a dwarf of some type. I always liked the Brazilian Flameback.

Im back everyone, my move went well both tanks are set up and looking good.

on to the subject at hand, With bubbletips your should be good, carpets or magnificas might have a problem. You have to realize as well any angel or trigger can get a taste for fleshy corals your best bet is to add a nice large pair of clowns to protect the anemone.

ReeferNets said:
... You have to realize as well any angel or trigger can get a taste for fleshy corals...

No corals in this tank just anemones. Well maybe just some expendable corals like GSP, Kenya trees and stuff like that, that way if they get eaten I'm not going to be heart broken.

Hey Jeff - Sounds like a nice plan. I often think about doing the same by adding a tank in our living room. Just imagine a tank full of funky looking (yet hardy) fish and not have to worry about calcium levels etc. I say go for it. Your family may enjoy it more. I know mine would.

sorry jcurry i meant to include anemones in that fleshy coral catalogue.

Its not likely but its like tangs and zoas. who knows.

Yep ;D My wife opened the door the other night when I told her I wasn't sure where I wanted to put the new tank, in the basement (so it can be big) or on the first floor so it can seen more. She said...and get this..."why don't you just have 2 tanks, the big one in the basement and a small one upstairs?" :eek: A shocking statement for my wife.

Now there's just 2 small problems I need to work out

1. Time
2. Money

The solution for the time problem is easy.... You don't sleep. The money problem on the other hand?????? I thought of setting up 2 tanks, One on first floor and one in basement. Put your reef ( or more pristine tank )on first floor and have it overflow into your fish only tank in basement then into sump. That would be real sweet

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Jcurry@wesketch said:
Yep ;D My wife opened the door the other night when I told her I wasn't sure where I wanted to put the new tank, in the basement (so it can be big) or on the first floor so it can seen more. She said...and get this..."why don't you just have 2 tanks, the big one in the basement and a small one upstairs?" :eek: A shocking statement for my wife.

Now there's just 2 small problems I need to work out

1. Time
2. Money

Ok Jeff
You have my number so when we setting it back up.... ;) what drink did you give your wife for the 2 tank option (im sure most here will want to know that)expense you can take a ride with me and I will save you a TON of money on fish.....As for the emperor with nems I never had one bother mine just ate my zoos,the nem stings them so they learn.... ;D

I kept an Emperor Angelfish in my tank w/ a rose anemone with no problems, It was a juvenile and lived for two years but got stressed from the move to the new reef tank and died.