• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Angler fish- got one beautiful one, interested in another

hello all-

I have a 3" yellow spotted angler in my 20 gallon FOWLR. I'm interested in getting another, and was told that it was ok. any advice? Thanks

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can only keep 2 anglers in the same tank if they are a pair. Keeping two any other way will result in one of them becoming a meal for the other.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's what I thought as well, Matt. You also have to be very selective of any other tankmates as well. Small enough and it is food, big enough and it could be too agressive.

Phyl said:
That's what I thought as well, Matt. You also have to be very selective of any other tankmates as well. Small enough and it is food, big enough and it could be too agressive.

Also, the fish has to be MUCH bigger than the angler. I've seen anglers eat fish almost twice their size.

Premilove, of course youre not imposing. I purchased my Warty Anglerfish from D. Dan's aquarium in Clifton, and have absolutely loved it. He's eating great; one lance fish every 2 or 3 days. I have a reef setup, with LPS(not as many zoos as you) but he loves them. The only thing is you cannot have any other fish in the tank-and i mean it, NONE. no shrimp, or any organisms that could fit in his mouth. if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I have a 20GAL setup, with GSPs, frogspawn, toadstool and some shrooms.