• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Animals and Things

The store is great to buy products of fish and fish but when it comes down to experience with fish I have no help. It's mostly a bunch of teenagers that work there that have no clue about fish, they just let you get whatever you want as long as the store makes money. I'm new to the whole reef tank scene. Is there anything close to carteret where I can have some good help when buying for my fish tank?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used to live in Port Reading... and USED to go to Animals and things quite a bit..

There is one thing that I have learned..

STAY AWAY FROM ANIMALS AND THINGS.  :eek:

You will be glad you did  :D  Trust me.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices in the Woodbridge area for saltwater.

If you can hike up to rte.22 there are some decent stores there (Ocean Gallery, Pet Shanty, Reefs Inc.) or if you want to take a nice ride towards the shore you can check out Tropaquarium... that is a great store!

Otherwise..feel free to ask as many questions as you like here.. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can answer most of your questions or lead you in the right direction.

HTH

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Alex. Welcome to the NJRC.Before you get ready to add more things to you're tank,check out NJRC forums. You can get healthier fish and corals from fellow reefers than a pet store. Also the club sells corals at a great price for members. Mike

Animals and Things is a complete crap shoot they treat the livestock horribly all through out the store. The only thing we buy there is millet spray for my gf parakeets.

Excellent place to get your frozen food from also. That is where I get mine.

As for anything else that ends up going to that store, I pity the poor creatures.

i go there to get all my dry goods & frozen food, i bough 3 fish from there a YSM clown,blue hypo & yellow tang they are all now 5 years old, but that was the last time i bought fish from there a lot can happend in 5 years :) i would never buy coral there.