• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone really good at soldering?

I went to go change the time on my reef keeper due to the time change today and somehow where the bus cable plugs into the back of the head unit the female end came out completely breaking the very minimal solder on the 4 prongs. I can solder but not any where good enough to play around on a mother board. Anyone that can help me out? Im in the hazlet/middletown area, obviously willing to do a little bit of traveling

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have an acetylene torch. If that doesn't work, I also own a sledge hammer! ;D

Torch-1.jpg

best bet is to head to radio shack with the motherboard and 10 or 15 bucks.. those guys usually can do all kinds of crazy stuff..

If it was me I would contact the RK people and beg for mercy. They are a small operation trying to earn good consumer karma; I doubt they will send you packing.

I am in bridgewater/somerville area. i can solder thing back for you but you need to take a picture of what broke off for me to say Yah or Nay before you drive up here.

ds4x4 said:
best bet is to head to radio shack with the motherboard and 10 or 15 bucks.. those guys usually can do all kinds of crazy stuff..
They really do that kind of stuff on premisis? never knew that before Ill have to go see what they say

dead cpu said:
I am in bridgewater/somerville area. i can solder thing back for you but you need to take a picture of what broke off for me to say Yah or Nay before you drive up here.
No problem. Let me check out radio shack first as it is right around the corner, ill take a picture right now and post it

Sorry the picture is pretty blurry. Anyone the black part in my hand goes right where the white square to the right is. There is a little tab where the outlet clips into and then 4 telephone prongs that solder onto the 4 on the mother board. If I push the outlet up against the mother board it all still works, but as soon as i let go it pops back and shuts off
DSC_1217.jpg