• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apex assistance...

I had a similar issue, my temp prob wasn't reading correctly, my display kept freezing, lights were on, on the apexjr and pb4 and I ended up sending it in for them to check it. now they want me to pay 135 for repairs on the apexjr, which according to them has water damage. which is bull cause I can access it via Ethernet which also they claim has water damage. I would prepare myself for worse case scenario when it come to sending it in for inspection and be prepared to pay at least 150 for repairs. Which in my opinion isn't worth it. Let me know if it works out for you just be prepared.

Apex support was able to get things running in 30 mins. Guy was super friendly and knowledgeable. Problem with the firmware getting though router.

He even set up my heater in fusion and alerts to email and smart phone.

Only question I have is heater on is 78 and off is 84. Does the 78 seem right?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know Apex, but that temperature range doesn't seem right. I have an antique ReefKeeper II that is set to go on at 78.0 and off at 78.3. The way I see it, your settings will cause for a 6 degree temperature swing from 78 to 84, and then down to 78, yada, yada, yada.

I don't know Apex, but that temperature range doesn't seem right. I have an antique ReefKeeper II that is set to go on at 78.0 and off at 78.3. The way I see it, your settings will cause for a 6 degree temperature swing from 78 to 84, and then down to 78, yada, yada, yada.

My tank runs warm. Right now 81 without the heater being on, its set for 78. Max in the summer was 82.3. Basement sump and AC set at 76. Heat comes mostly from internal pump, LEDS probably a little. As cooler weather approaches I'm sure temp will drop and heater will kick on. I just want protection from heater malfunction so high set for 84.

Apex tech set up 78 on, 84 off...just not sure if this is standard.

I don't think there is a standard, some like it hot, others cooler. I have my Apex from 78 - 79.

As long as the on number is right. I thought it might be a real low number and then the stat in the heater would take care of the set temp unless it fails on and then the Apex shuts it down.

What I do is set the heater at 80-81. So in case the apex fails to shut it off the heater thermometer should. What u want is the apex to control the on and off. Heaters will have a higher rate of failure.

Updating my Apex jr....Its working great and now thinking of adding a ph probe. Does anyone know what I need to add this component and how it ties into my Jr. I know I need a ph probe and I've read about a PM 1....just not clear how it all ties together with my current 4 outlet computer module...FYI I do have the display. Thanks as always...Mark

For the Apex Jr you would have to add the PM1 module so you could do pH monitoring. Its a very simple setup but make sure to follow the calibration methods so it as accurate as possible.